Why are teenage boys so disgusting?

• Thread starter Richard87
  • Start date
In summary: TV was on "The Jerry Springer Show." Wow, wow, wow. That is a human wasteland.But now I know what those folks were like in high school! Those knuckle-draggers (on the show and in the audience) were definitely the same ones who shout out like this, as a pass time!The thing is, though, that this sort of thing doesn't really belong in a formal setting like a doctor's office. It's just a waste of time and energy and it's really not appropriate for people who are there to get medical care.Some people bring their young children and siblings to those sporting events. I wouldn
Richard87
Really, they randomly shout out things like "penis", for instance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are teenage girls so squeamish?

i don't know about squeamish, but just about every 13 year old girl I've ever seen has been awkward.

dacruick said:
i don't know about squeamish, but just about every 13 year old [strike]girl[/strike] I've ever seen has been awkward.

agreed.

Yelling out human genitalia at sporting events is a high school past time.

MotoH said:

Hmm. Yesterday in the waiting room at my doctor's office, the TV was on "The Jerry Springer Show." Wow, wow, wow. That is a human wasteland.

But now I know what those folks were like in high school! Those knuckle-draggers (on the show and in the audience) were definitely the same ones who shout out like this, as a pass time!

Jeez, folks, get a freakin' life.

MotoH said:

Some people bring their young children and siblings to those sporting events. I wouldn't want my child, who may still be developing his/her compass on what is appropriate in public, to see others exhibiting such behavior.

lisab said:
Hmm. Yesterday in the waiting room at my doctor's office, the TV was on "The Jerry Springer Show." Wow, wow, wow. That is a human wasteland.

But now I know what those folks were like in high school! Those knuckle-draggers (on the show and in the audience) were definitely the same ones who shout out like this, as a pass time!

Jeez, folks, get a freakin' life.

sometimes referring/alluding to the genitalia in action is appropriate in some circumstances

what makes genitalia disgusting .. ?

Richard87 said:

I don't know the exact reason for this particular usage. But basically, adolescence is a transition from childhood to adulthood in which a lot of changes take place very rapidly, both physical and mental.

rootX said:

well, mostly you never know where its been, and they're like mushrooms (usually kept in the dark and some are poisonous)

rootX said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iDlMniZ_lw

There is of course, which I forgot to mention earlier. The "Penis game" which one person says the word quietly and it builds up from there. I don't have the spheres to get above indoor voice. Kids will be kids. I am sure you were the exact same way as these teenagers when you were a teen. Unless you are a teen and you are complaining about the other teens and my advice to that would be "you are thirteen, you are not an adult. Yell penis as much as you want before it becomes unacceptable to do so"

Richard87 said:

Oh my God! I do that sometimes in the hallway for the hilarity, you probably heard me say that.

Judging from the media coverage some find teenage boys quite attractive.

Last edited:
Pinu7 said:
Oh my God! I do that sometimes in the hallway for the hilarity, you probably heard me say that.

I th ink I've even heard you, pinus even

Richard87 said:
Poor parenting, and perhaps exposure to poor behavior of older children or adults or cable TV. Presumably it's for shock value. :rolleyes:

Rather sad the it seems to be too common.

It's hilarious because you think it's immature or disgusting when it's just a word, and a noun at that without a subject or verb.

I think this is simply a form of rebellion: teenagers have been taught that sex-related words are inappropriate, even though there's no rational reason why they should be. The forbidden fruit effect is powerful and by no means limited to teenagers.

ideasrule said:
I think this is simply a form of rebellion: teenagers have been taught that sex-related words are inappropriate, even though there's no rational reason why they should be. The forbidden fruit effect is powerful and by no means limited to teenagers.

Yeah, I suppose challenging meaningless traditions (especially taboos) has a sort of allure to it, even in my late 20's.

the V word is still off limits. No one plays the vagina game. That's just weird

Phyisab**** said:
It's hilarious because you think it's immature or disgusting when it's just a word, and a noun at that without a subject or verb.
I'm not sure to whom the 'you' referring, but in my case, I'm just old fashioned like the Appalacian Mtns or the Pennines. o:) :biggrin:

I was taught to be mindful of others - although I did occassionally break the rules, and someone's mother once threatened to coat my tongue with hot mustard. That was back around 1965 - maybe 1966.

Among the young savages who gather in front of the cafe where I hang out disgusting utterances are not at all limited to the males. The girls are often worse. They are all so insistent and pathological about it I almost suspect it is a kind of post traumatic stress reaction. It's so far beyond anything anyone could regard as funny.

Dembadon said:
Some people bring their young children and siblings to those sporting events. I wouldn't want my child, who may still be developing his/her compass on what is appropriate in public, to see others exhibiting such behavior.

While there is a limit to what children should be exposed to, at some point they have to be exposed to what the real world is like. It should be used as an example of what not to do. I feel that children should also be given the oppurtunity to get into some sort of trouble at a young age. They need to learn that if they do something bad/wrong, there are consequences through example. Keeping kids occupied every waking moment does not allow for this. But, maybe I'm old fashioned.

PENIS

On another note,

MotoH said:
the V word is still off limits. No one plays the vagina game. That's just weird

Some of my friends have played this game before in high school...

rewebster said:
I th ink I've even heard you, pinus even
He's odd.

Astronuc said:
Poor parenting, and perhaps exposure to poor behavior of older children or adults or cable TV. Presumably it's for shock value. :rolleyes:

Rather sad the it seems to be too common.

I don't know it's more of a 'I'm braver than you are.' The way the penis game works is they take turns yelling it louder than the last person until someone chickens out... It's like playing a game of chicken only this involves embarassment over yelling out the word penis.

It's not really about the people around you it's about if you're comfortable with the word to yell it out. Sometimes peoples reaction around can be funny too... espcially when it's in a classroom.

I know from experience since I was a crazy, grotesque, teenager myself not too long ago.

rewebster said:
well, mostly you never know where its been, and they're like mushrooms (usually kept in the dark and some are poisonous)

Oh my goodness! Now that is funny.

Why are teenage boys so disgusting? Well, SIR, I am offended, SIR, by your offensive statement!

*switches glasses*

I ask you, SIR, weren't you a teenage boy once? And weren't you, SIR, therefore disgusting, by your own statement?

*switches glasses*

I, SIR, have never said this word, this "penis" word, SIR, in public in my life! SIR!

*switches glasses*

And I decry those ephebiphobes, SIR, who assume that because I am a teenager, SIR...

*switches glasses*

That I am disgusting, presumably (SIR!) unintelligent, and sex-obsessed! SIR!

*switches glasses*

And so, SIR, I call on you to retract your statement!

*switches glasses*

(Also, if you're a woman, change "teenage boys" to "men in general")

(Bonus points if you get the reference!)

David Coruso?

Nowhere even close.

I was walking through a high school today and shouted 'vagina'! One of the guards shouted back 'penislavania'! No wonder those states were on opposite sides during the civil war.

Last edited:
Chronos, do you live in New York or around within only about 300 miles from there? Cause I just thought of the fact that "vagina" sounds like "virginia" in Bostonian.

Chronos said:
One of the guards shouted back 'penislavania'!

High-school dropouts, sigh. (in reference to the guard, not Chronos) Everyone knows it's "Penisylvania." :rolleyes:

Char. Limit said:
Why are teenage boys so disgusting? Well, SIR, I am offended, SIR, by your offensive statement!

*switches glasses*

I ask you, SIR, weren't you a teenage boy once? And weren't you, SIR, therefore disgusting, by your own statement?

*switches glasses*

I, SIR, have never said this word, this "penis" word, SIR, in public in my life! SIR!

*switches glasses*

And I decry those ephebiphobes, SIR, who assume that because I am a teenager, SIR...

*switches glasses*

That I am disgusting, presumably (SIR!) unintelligent, and sex-obsessed! SIR!

*switches glasses*

And so, SIR, I call on you to retract your statement!

*switches glasses*

(Also, if you're a woman, change "teenage boys" to "men in general")

(Bonus points if you get the reference!)

It's either Olbermann, or Colbert acting like Olbermann.

<h2>Why are teenage boys so disgusting?</h2><p>There are a variety of reasons why teenage boys may exhibit behaviors that are considered "disgusting." Some possible explanations include hormonal changes during puberty, social pressure to conform to certain masculine norms, and a lack of understanding about hygiene and cleanliness.</p><h2>Is it normal for teenage boys to be disgusting?</h2><p>It is important to remember that every individual is different and may have their own unique habits and behaviors. However, it is not uncommon for teenage boys to display behaviors that are considered "disgusting" as they navigate through adolescence and learn about themselves and the world around them.</p><h2>How can I help my teenage son be less disgusting?</h2><p>As a parent, it is important to have open and honest communication with your teenage son about hygiene and cleanliness. Encouraging and modeling good habits, such as regularly showering and washing hands, can also be helpful. Additionally, try to understand and empathize with your son's perspective and address any underlying issues that may be contributing to their behavior.</p><h2>Are there any health risks associated with teenage boys being disgusting?</h2><p>While some behaviors may be considered unpleasant, there are not necessarily any direct health risks associated with teenage boys being "disgusting." However, it is important to educate and encourage them to practice good hygiene to prevent the spread of illnesses and maintain their overall health.</p><h2>Will teenage boys eventually grow out of being disgusting?</h2><p>As they mature and gain more understanding of social norms and expectations, many teenage boys will naturally become more aware and mindful of their behaviors. However, it is important to remember that everyone has their own unique habits and preferences, and it is important to respect and accept individuals for who they are.</p>

Why are teenage boys so disgusting?

There are a variety of reasons why teenage boys may exhibit behaviors that are considered "disgusting." Some possible explanations include hormonal changes during puberty, social pressure to conform to certain masculine norms, and a lack of understanding about hygiene and cleanliness.

Is it normal for teenage boys to be disgusting?

It is important to remember that every individual is different and may have their own unique habits and behaviors. However, it is not uncommon for teenage boys to display behaviors that are considered "disgusting" as they navigate through adolescence and learn about themselves and the world around them.

How can I help my teenage son be less disgusting?

As a parent, it is important to have open and honest communication with your teenage son about hygiene and cleanliness. Encouraging and modeling good habits, such as regularly showering and washing hands, can also be helpful. Additionally, try to understand and empathize with your son's perspective and address any underlying issues that may be contributing to their behavior.

Are there any health risks associated with teenage boys being disgusting?

While some behaviors may be considered unpleasant, there are not necessarily any direct health risks associated with teenage boys being "disgusting." However, it is important to educate and encourage them to practice good hygiene to prevent the spread of illnesses and maintain their overall health.

Will teenage boys eventually grow out of being disgusting?

As they mature and gain more understanding of social norms and expectations, many teenage boys will naturally become more aware and mindful of their behaviors. However, it is important to remember that everyone has their own unique habits and preferences, and it is important to respect and accept individuals for who they are.