Differential Equations: System of equations

In summary, the system of equations dx/dt = 3x+y and dy/dt = sqrt(y) can be solved by using separation of variables and substitution to find the general solution. The method of undetermined coefficients can then be used to find a particular solution, with two constants of integration to account for the two equations.
SpiffyEh

Homework Statement

I have the following 2 equations dx/dt = 3x+y and dy/dt = sqrt(y)
I need to find the general solution to the system.

Homework Equations

dx/dt = 3x+y and dy/dt = sqrt(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

i did the y equation first using separation of variables and got
2sqrt(y) = t+c
so... y = (2t+A)^2 where A = 2c

then i plugged this into the 2nd equation for y so i have dx/dt = 3x + (2t+2t)^2
i'm not sure how to solve this. I tried using method of undetermined coefficients but i keep getting stuck. Can someone please show me step by step how to solve this? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SpiffyEh! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)
SpiffyEh said:
2sqrt(y) = t+c
so... y = (2t+A)^2 where A = 2c

No, (t/2 + A). :wink:
then i plugged this into the 2nd equation for y so i have dx/dt = 3x + (2t+2t)^2
i'm not sure how to solve this. I tried using method of undetermined coefficients but i keep getting stuck.

(You need both a complementary solution and a particular solution … I assume you've got the former?)

Substituting u = t/2 + A may make it easier.

If it doesn't, show us how far you get, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

oops sorry completely missed the t/2...

well when i start the method of undetermined coefficients i can ge the yh but the yp is where i have issues. Since it has to be something like the right hand side i can't figure out what to set it to. Is this the wrong method to use in this case?

Hi SpiffyEh! :wink:

Whenever I see a polynomial on the RHS, I always try a polynomial as the particular solution. :smile:

i understand that, i just don't see how it works out because of the c being in two different parts of the equation. I don't know if I am just being stupid and thinking of it wrong or not.

(just got up :zzz: …)
SpiffyEh said:
i understand that, i just don't see how it works out because of the c being in two different parts of the equation. I don't know if I am just being stupid and thinking of it wrong or not.

I'm confused … I thought you were trying to solve dx/dt = 3x + (t/2 + A)2 ? :confused:

The constant of integration from integrating the first equation has nothing to do with the constant of integration from integrating the second equation. You will have two constants of integration here. Think of them as c1 and c2, or A and B if you want.

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that contain multiple variables and are meant to be solved simultaneously. The solutions to a system of equations are values that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

2. How do you solve a system of equations?

There are multiple methods for solving a system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. The most efficient method will depend on the specific system of equations and the desired solution.

3. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear system of equations?

A linear system of equations contains only linear equations, which means that the variables are raised to the first power and there are no products or powers of variables. A non-linear system of equations contains at least one non-linear equation, where the variables may be raised to powers or be multiplied together.

4. Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have multiple solutions. This is especially common in non-linear systems of equations, where the graph of the equations may intersect at multiple points.

5. How are systems of equations used in real life?

Systems of equations are commonly used to model and solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can also be used to analyze and make predictions in complex systems, such as weather patterns or population dynamics.