Writing Strings to File in MATLAB

In summary, to write strings to a file in MATLAB, you can use the fprintf function with the file identifier, format, and data as parameters. If you want to write multiple strings, you can use a loop or the fwrite function. To specify the location of the file, use the full file path in the fprintf function. To append strings to an existing file, use fopen with the 'a' permission and fprintf to write to the end of the file. To check if writing was successful, use fclose and ferror or open the file to check.
darthxepher
Hey,

so i want to write a string to a .txt file and I tried by doing this:

save filename.txt writer

(where writer is the variable containing string)
But i get weird char. instead of the string.
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I solved it with a

fid = fopen(path,'wt');
fprintf(fid,writer);
fclose(fid);

:)

1. How do I write strings to a file in MATLAB?

In order to write strings to a file in MATLAB, you can use the fprintf function. This function allows you to specify the file name, format, and the data you want to write to the file. For example, you can use the following code: fprintf(fileID, format, A) where fileID is the identifier for the file, format specifies the format for writing the data, and A is the data you want to write.

2. How can I write multiple strings to a file in MATLAB?

If you want to write multiple strings to a file in MATLAB, you can use a loop to iterate through each string and use the fprintf function to write them to the file. You can also use the fwrite function to write a character array or cell array of strings to a file.

3. How do I specify the location of the file when writing strings to a file in MATLAB?

You can specify the location of the file when writing strings to a file in MATLAB by using the full file path in the fprintf function. For example, you can use fprintf('C:\Users\username\Documents\file.txt', format, A) to write to a file located in the Documents folder on a Windows computer.

4. Can I append strings to an existing file in MATLAB?

Yes, you can append strings to an existing file in MATLAB by using the fopen function with the 'a' (append) permission. This will allow you to open the file in append mode and use the fprintf function to write strings to the end of the file.

5. How do I check if writing strings to a file in MATLAB was successful?

You can use the fclose function to close the file after writing to it, and then use the ferror function to check if there were any errors during the writing process. If the function returns a value of 0, it means the writing was successful. You can also open the file to check if the strings were written correctly.