Can I Succeed in Modern Physics Without Differential Equations?

• Thread starter Mu naught
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of having the prerequisite of differential equations for a modern physics course. The speakers suggest talking to the instructor if there are any concerns about not having the necessary background. The final comment highlights the individualized nature of each class and the need to communicate with the instructor for the best course of action.
Mu naught
I am taking "modern physics" this semester, which is an introduction to quantum mechanics. However, I have only had up to calculus 2. It seems I am missing a pre-req for the course - differential equations...

Without DE, will I be able to succeed in the course?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose we say "yes, you don't need this prerequisite" and you fail the class because you didn't have the background. What then?

The people teaching the class feel you need this as a prerequisite - that's why they put it in the course catalog. If you think they are mistaken, you should talk to them.

Vanadium 50 said:
Suppose we say "yes, you don't need this prerequisite" and you fail the class because you didn't have the background. What then?

The people teaching the class feel you need this as a prerequisite - that's why they put it in the course catalog. If you think they are mistaken, you should talk to them.

well i didnt realize i needed it until after I was registered for it...

Vanadium 50 said:

I agree with this, the only sensible thing to do is to talk to the instructor. Every class is different and there's no way random people on a forum could tell you what would happen if you tried to take the class without having a particular prerequisite.

Mu naught said:
well i didnt realize i needed it until after I was registered for it...

And how does this affect whether you need the prereq or not?

1. Am I doomed to fail because of my past mistakes?

It is common to feel like past mistakes may determine your future success, but this is not always the case. It is important to learn from your mistakes and use them as opportunities for growth. With determination and a positive mindset, you can overcome past failures and achieve success in the future.

2. Will my current circumstances lead me to failure?

Your current circumstances do not define your future. While it may be difficult to see a way out of a challenging situation, it is important to remember that your circumstances can change and you have the power to make choices that can lead to success. Stay focused, motivated, and open to new opportunities.

3. Can I change my fate and avoid failure?

It is possible to change your fate and avoid failure. Your actions and choices have a significant impact on your future. By setting goals, making a plan, and taking proactive steps towards success, you can change your fate and achieve your desired outcome.

4. Is failure a sign of my abilities or potential?

Failure does not define your abilities or potential. It is important to remember that failure is a natural part of the learning process and can provide valuable lessons. Your potential is determined by your determination, hard work, and willingness to learn from failure.

5. Will I ever be successful if I have failed before?

Yes, you can still be successful even if you have experienced failure in the past. Many successful individuals have faced failures before achieving their goals. It is important to stay resilient, learn from your failures, and keep moving forward towards your goals. With perseverance and determination, success is achievable.