Volume of Sulphuric Acid (Mass Percent)

In summary, mass percent is a measure of the amount of solute present in a solution as a percentage of the total mass of the solution. The mass percent of sulphuric acid is calculated by dividing the mass of the acid by the total mass of the solution and multiplying by 100. It is important in various industries for measuring concentration. The volume of sulphuric acid does not directly affect the mass percent, but changes in volume can affect the mass percent calculation. Additionally, the mass percent of sulphuric acid cannot be greater than 100% as it represents a ratio and the maximum possible mass of the solute in a solution is 100% of the total mass.
lily_moss14
The Density of a solution of sulphuric acid is 1.8022g/cc, and it is 88.00 percent by mass. What volume of the solution (in milliliters) do you need to supply 43.0 g of sulphuric acid?

I'm not too sure how to solve this question, I tried it and thought it was too simple? This is what I did, if it is wrong or if there's a better way of doing it can you please help me :)

1 ml = 1 cc
43.0 g/1.8022 g/cc = 23.9 ml.
23.9ml/0.88 = 27.15 ml
answer 27.15 ml?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me.

1. What is the definition of mass percent?

Mass percent, also known as mass concentration, is a measure of the amount of solute (in this case, sulphuric acid) present in a solution as a percentage of the total mass of the solution.

2. How is the mass percent of sulphuric acid calculated?

The mass percent of sulphuric acid is calculated by dividing the mass of the sulphuric acid by the total mass of the solution and multiplying by 100. This can be represented by the formula: mass percent = (mass of sulphuric acid / total mass of solution) x 100.

3. Why is the mass percent of sulphuric acid important?

The mass percent of sulphuric acid is important because it is used to measure the concentration of the acid in a solution. This information is crucial in various industries such as chemical manufacturing, where precise measurements of concentrations are necessary for producing high-quality products.

4. How does the volume of sulphuric acid affect the mass percent?

The volume of sulphuric acid does not directly affect the mass percent. However, the mass of the acid will change if the volume of the solution is altered. This will, in turn, affect the mass percent calculation.

5. Can the mass percent of sulphuric acid be greater than 100%?

No, the mass percent of sulphuric acid cannot be greater than 100%. This is because mass percent is a ratio of the mass of the solute to the total mass of the solution, and the maximum possible mass of the solute in a solution is 100% of the total mass.