Two Different Masses on an Uncentered Fulcrum (Torque)

In summary, the problem involves two masses of 1.9 kg each suspended from the ends of a rigid rod with lengths of 1.43 m and 0.085 m. The initial acceleration of the mass attached to the longer side of the rod needs to be calculated, assuming up is positive and down is negative. Using the equations T = r x F and T = Ia, the moment of inertia I is found to be equal to the sum of the two moments of inertia for each side. After some algebra, the final equation for tangential acceleration is obtained, which is g(-L1+L2)*L1/(L1^2 + L2^2). The key was to divide by L1 instead
Watagun
[Solved] Two Different Masses on an Uncentered Fulcrum (Torque)

Homework Statement

Two blocks each of mass 1.9 kg are suspended from the ends of a rigid weightless rod of length l1 = 1.43 m and l2 = .085 m. The rod is held in the horizontal position shown and then released. Calculate the initial acceleration of the mass attached to l1. Assume up is positive and down is negative.

prob10.gif

Also to clarify, the problem is asking for tangential acceleration

Homework Equations

T = r x F
T = Ia
A = ar
I = mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I summed the torque of the two sides
T = L1mg + L2mg = Ia
where mg is the force acting on the mass on each side and L1 and L2 are the radii.

For the moment of Inertia I, I used the point mass formula (I = mr2)
But that would apply for the system, so I added the two moment of Inertia for the two sides
I = mr12 + mr22

Doing some algebra to move the variables around I came up with
g(L1+L2)
----------- = a
(L12 + L22)

Putting in my numbers yielded me

9.8*(1.43+.085)/(1.432+.0852) = a = 7.23 rad/s2

Then after that I would need to divide 7.23 by the radius, r, to get the tangential acceleration. But I'm not sure which r I would use. r = L1? or r = (L1+L2)/2?

Anyway, that's what I came up with. I'm guessing there are a lot of mistakes in here, but I'm not sure what I did right and what I did wrong.

Any help pointing me in the correct direction would be great! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If there's any other information you need from me, let me know so we can work to help me figure this out.

Nevermind, I found out the answer. It seems I was pretty close. I needed to make my equation
g(-L1+L2) *L1
--------------- = A (or alpha *r)
(L1^2 + L2^2)

The thing that was throwing me off was multiplying it by L1 instead of dividing it by L1. But I understand now. My original equation solved alpha.
Then by multiplying both sides by L1 you get what I have above on the left is equal to alpha * r (which = tangential acceleration)

1. How does the placement of two different masses on an uncentered fulcrum affect the torque?

The placement of two different masses on an uncentered fulcrum affects the torque by changing the distance between the fulcrum and the applied force. The farther the applied force is from the fulcrum, the greater the torque will be. This means that the placement of the masses can greatly impact the overall torque of the system.

2. What is the relationship between the masses and the torque in this scenario?

The relationship between the masses and the torque in this scenario is directly proportional. This means that as the masses increase, the torque also increases. This is because the masses add to the overall force acting on the lever arm, resulting in a greater torque.

3. How does the center of mass of the lever arm affect the torque?

The center of mass of the lever arm plays a crucial role in determining the overall torque in this scenario. If the center of mass is not aligned with the fulcrum, it will create a torque that opposes the applied force. This can result in an unstable system and a lower overall torque.

4. Can the torque be decreased by equalizing the masses on either side of the fulcrum?

No, the torque cannot be decreased by equalizing the masses on either side of the fulcrum. This is because the torque is dependent on both the magnitude of the masses and their distance from the fulcrum. Even if the masses are equal, the torque will still be affected by their placement on the lever arm.

5. How can the torque be maximized in this scenario?

The torque can be maximized by increasing the distance between the masses and the fulcrum. This can be achieved by moving the heavier mass farther from the fulcrum or by increasing the overall length of the lever arm. Additionally, having a larger difference in masses can also increase the torque. However, it is important to note that the system should be balanced and stable to avoid any potential accidents.