Min, Max, or Saddle Point at (0,0) for F=?

• Thread starter tatianaiistb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max Point
In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether a given point is a minimum, maximum, or saddle point for two different functions. The conversation also mentions using the Second partial derivative test to make this determination and the need to check the first derivatives as well.
tatianaiistb

Homework Statement

Decide between a minimum, maximum, or saddle point for:

(a) F=-1+4(ex-x)-5xsin(y)+6y2 at the point x=y=0

(b) F=(x2-2x)cos(y) with stationary point at x=1, y=pi

The professor was a bit confusing, so I did it the way I remember from Calc, but am unsure of whether I went the right direction or not... Ideas?

Homework Equations

FxxFyy-Fxy2

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a,

I got the point is at a minimum because
FxxFyy-Fxy2=23, which is greater than 0, and so are both Fxx and Fyy (4 and 12 respectively).

For part b,

I got the point is at a maximum because
FxxFyy-Fxy2=2, which is greater than 0, but both Fxx and Fyy are negative (-2 and -1 respectively).

Am I thinking correctly? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a "Min, Max or Saddle Point" in relation to scientific research?

A "Min, Max or Saddle Point" refers to a critical point in a mathematical function where the derivative is equal to zero. In scientific research, these points are important in determining the minimum, maximum, or saddle points of a particular variable, which can provide valuable insights and information.

2. How are "Min, Max or Saddle Point" used in data analysis?

In data analysis, "Min, Max or Saddle Point" can be used to identify extreme values or turning points in a dataset, which can help in making predictions and understanding patterns. They can also be used to optimize functions and find the best possible solutions to problems.

3. Can "Min, Max or Saddle Point" be found in real-world phenomena?

Yes, "Min, Max or Saddle Point" can be found in various real-world phenomena such as in economics, physics, and biology. For example, in economics, these points can help in determining the optimal production level for a company. In physics, they can be used to analyze the energy levels of a system. In biology, they can help in understanding the growth patterns of organisms.

4. What is the difference between a "Min" and a "Max" point?

A "Min" point refers to the minimum value of a function, while a "Max" point refers to the maximum value. In other words, a "Min" point is the lowest point on a curve, while a "Max" point is the highest point.

5. How can one determine if a point is a "Saddle Point"?

A "Saddle Point" can be identified by examining the second derivative of a function. If the second derivative is positive, the point is a "Min" point. If the second derivative is negative, the point is a "Max" point. If the second derivative is zero, the point is a "Saddle Point".