Solve Charging RC Circuit: Find Capacitor Charge at t1

In summary: I guess, but I do not understand what is wrong with this method. Your method is correct, but you have to use the correct values for I3 and R3. You assumed I3=2V/R3, but that is not correct. You have to use the voltage drop at the resistor, which is not 2V.Let me explain in a bit more detail:1. At t=0, the switch is closed, so the capacitor is uncharged. This means that the potential difference between A and B is 0V.2. As time passes, the capacitor starts to charge and the potential difference between A and B increases.3. At t=t1, the potential difference between A and B is
mrshappy0

Homework Statement

Switch is initially opened with the capacitor uncharged. At t=0 the switch is clsoed. At time=t1 later, the potential difference between A and B is 2.00volts
Find the charge on the capacitor at time t1.

R=10,000ohms
C=2.4nF
Vb=12volts
VA->B-=2.00volts

Homework Equations

I(t)=(V/R)*e^(-t/RC)
q(t)=CV(1-e^(-t/RC))
C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

RC was correctly found to be 40microSeconds.So then the goal is to find the time at t1. The 2volts across A and B must be important to finding t1.
So I assumed that the voltage drop from A-B must be equal to the voltage drop for R3. Thus 2Volt/R=I3.

Then I used I3 to find t1: I3=(V/R)*e^(-t/RC) --> solving for t and then plugging into q(t).
Does this seem right or is my logic wrong?

Attachments

• ohms.png
    ohms.png
    4 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
RC was correctly found to be 40microSeconds.
I don't think this helps. You do not have a simple RC circuit, the charging will show a more complex time-dependence.
You can use the usual circuit rules to get the charge, you don't even need the time.

So I assumed that the voltage drop from A-B must be equal to the voltage drop for R3.
This would correspond to zero voltage drop at the capacitor...

1) I mean RC as in the time constant= total resistance*capacitance = 5/3R*C

"You can use the usual circuit rules to get the charge..."
How do you do this?
2volts = (q/c) - I3R3 and solve for q?

mrshappy0 said:
1) I mean RC as in the time constant= total resistance*capacitance = 5/3R*C
The voltage drop at your RC part is not constant.

"You can use the usual circuit rules to get the charge..."
How do you do this?
2volts = (q/c) - I3R3 and solve for q?
Step by step. You can calculate the voltage drop at the right transistor. Based on this, you can calculate the current there, and so on.

"The voltage drop at your RC part is not constant."
yeah but isn't [itex]\tau[/itex] (time-constant) always constant from the time the switch is closed to a "long time after"?"Step by step. You can calculate the voltage drop at the right transistor. Based on this, you can calculate the current there, and so on."
I assume you meant resistor not transistor?
I'm confused. Is the above equation 2volts = (q/c) - I3R3 not correct. I don't see how you couldn't just find q from this.

It looks to me like there's something wrong with the problem statement. I don't see how the magnitude of the potential difference between points A and B can ever be 2.00V after the switch is closed. It should only be able to range between the values afforded by two conditions: capacitor is a short (uncharged); capacitor is an open (charged).

I just found an answer (without solution) and it said it is supposed to be 7.2nC. Using the first idea I had, I pretty much got the answer with t1=11.5microseconds :

**"RC was correctly found to be 40microSeconds.So then the goal is to find the time at t1. The 2volts across A and B must be important to finding t1.
So I assumed that the voltage drop from A-B must be equal to the voltage drop for R3. Thus 2Volt/R=I3.

Then I used I3 to find t1: I3=(V/R)*e^(-t/RC) --> solving for t and then plugging into q(t).
Does this seem right or is my logic wrong?"**

but... I become completely confused by mfb's suggestions.gneill, why can't it ever be 2volts if the battery is 12volts?

mrshappy0 said:
gneill, why can't it ever be 2volts if the battery is 12volts?

Calculate the potential difference when you replace the capacitor with a short. Calculate it again when you replace the capacitor with an open circuit. Does 2V lie between the values?

gneill said:
It looks to me like there's something wrong with the problem statement. I don't see how the magnitude of the potential difference between points A and B can ever be 2.00V after the switch is closed. It should only be able to range between the values afforded by two conditions: capacitor is a short (uncharged); capacitor is an open (charged).

That is true, UAB never can be 2 V.

ehild

Last edited:
mrshappy0 said:
"The voltage drop at your RC part is not constant."
yeah but isn't [itex]\tau[/itex] (time-constant) always constant from the time the switch is closed to a "long time after"?
At every moment, you can calculate τ, but you cannot use it in the exponential formula.
"Step by step. You can calculate the voltage drop at the right transistor. Based on this, you can calculate the current there, and so on."
I assume you meant resistor not transistor?
Oh, right.
I'm confused. Is the above equation 2volts = (q/c) - I3R3 not correct. I don't see how you couldn't just find q from this.
It is, but you have two unknown values there. You have to find I3 first.

ehild said:
That is true, UAB never can be 2 V.

egó
Interesting, I did not test this. The capacitor would have to have a reverse charge.

***"Oh, right.
It is, but you have two unknown values there. You have to find I3 first."***

Right, I did that and I solved for q. This does not come out to the answer provided [7.2nC charge on the capacitor]BUT! When I the following:
I3=I0(e^(-t/[itex]\tau[/itex])), solve for t.
Solve for q(t)=q0(1-e^(-t/[itex]\tau[/itex]))
I got 7.2nC...

So now I'm just confused because you say this is not the correct use of the formula.

Last edited:
Moving on for now

1. How do I calculate the charge on a capacitor in a charging RC circuit at a specific time (t1)?

In order to calculate the charge on a capacitor at a specific time in a charging RC circuit, you will need to know the capacitance (C) and resistance (R) values of the circuit, as well as the voltage (V) of the power source. You can then use the formula Q = CV(1-e^(-t/RC)) to find the charge at time t1.

2. What is an RC circuit and how does it work?

An RC circuit is a circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and capacitor (C) connected in series. When the circuit is connected to a power source, the capacitor will begin to charge, and the resistor will limit the flow of current. As the capacitor charges, the voltage across it will increase until it reaches the same voltage as the power source. The capacitor will then stop charging, and the circuit will reach a steady state.

3. What factors affect the charging of a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The rate at which a capacitor charges in an RC circuit is affected by several factors, including the capacitance (C) and resistance (R) values of the circuit, the voltage (V) of the power source, and the time (t) it takes for the capacitor to charge. Additionally, the type of material used in the capacitor and the temperature can also affect the charging process.

4. How does the charge on a capacitor change over time in a charging RC circuit?

In a charging RC circuit, the charge on the capacitor will increase over time until it reaches the same voltage as the power source. This is due to the buildup of electrons on one side of the capacitor, creating a potential difference between the two plates. As the capacitor charges, the rate at which the charge increases will slow down, eventually reaching a steady state.

5. Can I use a different formula to calculate the charge on a capacitor in a charging RC circuit?

Yes, there are other formulas that can be used to calculate the charge on a capacitor in a charging RC circuit, such as Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage. However, this formula assumes that the capacitor is fully charged, whereas the Q = CV(1-e^(-t/RC)) formula takes into account the time it takes for the capacitor to charge.