[2D FDTD TFSF problem] got error in result but don't know why

It would be helpful to provide more information and potentially code in order to accurately analyze the issue.
s_hy
HI all,

I did wrote codes for 2D FDTD TFSF TMZ mode using yee algorithm. But the output I got was not as expected. The curve was bended, and major leaking after some time when approaching ilast, jlast. Can anyone help me to analyze the output graph eg, why the leaking happened, and why the curve was bending. I didn't put any ABC,PEC or PML for this time being, and 100% referred to taflove.

t = 68sec
data068.jpg

t=79sec
data079.jpg

t=94sec
data094.jpg

t=104sec
data104.jpg

please advice and thank you in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to tell exactly why you're getting the results you're seeing without looking at your code. However, it's likely that the leaking is due to not having any absorbing boundary conditions (ABCs) in place. Without ABCs, the field values can travel outside of the simulation area and not be absorbed, resulting in the leaking you're seeing. The bending of the curve could be due to a variety of factors, such as not using a high enough resolution, or incorrect implementation of the TFSF boundaries.

1. What is the 2D FDTD TFSF problem?

The 2D FDTD TFSF problem refers to a computational method known as the Finite-Difference Time-Domain (FDTD) technique, used in electromagnetics to simulate the behavior of electromagnetic waves in two-dimensional structures. The TFSF (Total-Field Scattered-Field) method is a specific implementation of the FDTD technique used to model wave propagation in a bounded region.

2. What does it mean to get an error in the result of the 2D FDTD TFSF problem?

An error in the result of the 2D FDTD TFSF problem means that the simulation did not produce the expected or desired outcome. This could be due to incorrect input parameters, code errors, or limitations of the FDTD method itself.

3. How can I troubleshoot the error in my 2D FDTD TFSF problem?

To troubleshoot an error in the 2D FDTD TFSF problem, it is helpful to check the input parameters, review the code for any syntax or logic errors, and validate the results against known solutions. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts in the field or seek assistance from the software developers.

4. What are some common causes of errors in the 2D FDTD TFSF problem?

Common causes of errors in the 2D FDTD TFSF problem include incorrect input parameters, boundary conditions, or material properties, as well as coding errors such as typos or incorrect implementation of equations. The complexity of the problem and limitations of the FDTD method can also contribute to errors in the results.

5. How can I prevent errors in the 2D FDTD TFSF problem?

To prevent errors in the 2D FDTD TFSF problem, it is important to carefully select and input the correct parameters, validate the results against known solutions, and review the code for any errors. It can also be helpful to familiarize oneself with the limitations and assumptions of the FDTD method and seek guidance from experienced researchers or software developers.