What are Torque Parameters and Their Significance in Mechanical Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torque in mechanical engineering and the various parameters associated with it. The speaker, a third year electrical engineering student, is seeking help understanding these parameters and their significance, specifically in relation to a crankshaft. They are looking for a list of torque parameters and their meanings, as well as typical values for a crankshaft.
CraigH
Hi, I'm a third year electrical engineering student, but I am currently doing a mechanical engineering project. I would really appreciate any help as I'm a bit behind in my mechanical engineering knowledge.

I understand that torque is just the turning force on an object, i.e the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance from the force to the pivot.

But when torque parameters are mentioned in mechanical engineering papers, what are they referring to? It's the plural "parameters" that's confusing me.

Is it the collection of properties such as maximum torque, starting torque, etc?

If so, can somebody please provide me with a list of the all, or some of the "torque parameters", along with what each means?

Finally, if looking at the torque parameters of a crankshaft, what would be the important ones to pay attention to, and what are some typical values?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning force applied to an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is the unit of torque?

The SI unit for torque is Newton-meter (N·m). Other commonly used units include pound-foot (lb·ft) and kilogram-force meter (kgf·m).

3. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of application to the center of rotation. Mathematically, it can be expressed as T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

4. What are the factors that affect torque?

The factors that affect torque include the amount of force applied, the distance from the point of application to the center of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied.

5. Why are torque parameters important in engineering and physics?

Torque parameters are important in engineering and physics because they help determine the amount of force needed to rotate or move an object. They are also crucial in designing and analyzing mechanical systems, such as engines and machinery.