What is the Meaning of End Correction?

• Thread starter bepunctual
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Correction
In summary, 'End Correction' refers to the adjustment needed in the effective length of a pipe when calculating the velocity of sound. This is due to the interaction of the sound with the open air and the geometry of the pipe end. It is important to consider when conducting experiments involving sound waves in pipes.
bepunctual
I wonder if someone could explain what is meant by 'End Correction'

Any help is appriciated! thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In what context is the term being used?

We did an experiment to measure the velocity of sound by air colum by holding a vibrating tuning fork above a plastuc tube with one end in water. by moving the tube up and down we then found the shortest length of the air column that produced the loudest sound.

by plotting length against 1/f and finding the gradient of the line, we could find the velocity of sound. however the graph did not go through 0,0 and our teacher suggested this was due to 'end correction' but that we had to research what this meant.

I have looked in several books, and searched on the internet, but am unable to come up with an understandable meaning for me.

hope this helps!

That's what I thought you were talking about. In elementary treatments of standing sound waves in pipes, the antinode is treated as being exactly at the end of the pipe. But it's more complicated than that due to the interaction of the sound with the open air. It turns out that the "effective length" of a pipe depends on the geometry of the pipe end and how the air in the pipe interacts with the air outside the pipe. These are the "end corrections".

I had a bit of trouble myself trying to find something on the web to help you, but here's a start:
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/musFAQ.html#end
http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/waves/pipes.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

What is end correction?

End correction is a phenomenon that occurs in sound waves when they are reflected off the end of a tube or pipe. The actual length of the tube or pipe is longer than the physical distance between the two ends due to the presence of the end correction factor.

Why is end correction important?

End correction is important because it affects the resonant frequency and overall acoustic performance of the tube or pipe. Without accounting for end correction, sound waves may not be accurately measured or predicted, leading to errors in acoustic design and analysis.

How is end correction calculated?

End correction is typically calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the diameter of the tube or pipe, the speed of sound, and the frequency of the sound wave. Different formulas exist for different types of tubes or pipes, such as open or closed tubes.

What factors affect end correction?

The main factors that affect end correction are the diameter of the tube or pipe, the temperature and humidity of the surrounding air, and the type of material the tube or pipe is made of. These factors can change the speed of sound and alter the end correction factor.

How can end correction be minimized?

End correction can be minimized by using a longer tube or pipe, using a larger diameter tube or pipe, or by using materials with lower sound velocities. Additionally, proper placement and design of the sound source and receiver can also reduce the effects of end correction.