Exploring Ford EcoBoost & Inline 6 Engines

• Thread starter Creedence18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engines
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of equipping FWD cars with small, undersquare inline six engines instead of inline four engines for better efficiency. The question is raised whether the extra low-end torque of the inline six would provide better efficiency or if the "surface area" of the engine would cancel out any gains. It is noted that more cylinders result in more friction losses and that stroke does not significantly affect maximum torque. The potential for worse fuel consumption and efficiency is also mentioned.
Creedence18
I've noticed that engines have gotten very complicated, thus more complicated in the past few years into squeeze more power and efficiency out of them, Ford's ecoboost in particular. I was wondering if it would be just as efficient to equip FWD cars with a small, very undersquare inline sixes instead of inline four engines of equal lengh? For example, could you build an inline 6 with a bore of 2" and a stroke of 4" instead of a 4 banger with a bore of 3-3.5" and a stroke of 4"? Would the extra low-end torque give the engine better efficiency or would any gains be canceled out by the extra "surface area" (cylinder side-wall area?). Would such an engine have such poor aspiration that it would need a turbo to be compareable in power into an inline 4 of similar displacement?

Engineering news on Phys.org
- with more cylinders you have more friction losses. no way around it.
- if I remember old japanese/bmw low volume 6 cyl. engines (2.0-2.5) had bit lower specific torque, but higher specific power output... fuel consumption was always worse than any 4cyl. if I
- from lots and lots of engine specs (mfr specs form car magazines) I have seen, stroke has no (or not significant) effect on maximum torque. all modern petrol engines produces 90-110Nm/l. no matter if oversquare or undersquare.
- more thermal losses from smaller cylinders. no way around that.

so I would say (but correct me if I'm wrong) that no problem with matching power or torque output to 4cyl, but worse fuel consumption / efficiency.

1. What is the difference between Ford EcoBoost and Inline 6 engines?

Ford EcoBoost engines are turbocharged, direct-injection gasoline engines that are designed to deliver more power and torque while also improving fuel efficiency. Inline 6 engines, on the other hand, have six cylinders arranged in a straight line and are known for their smooth and balanced power delivery. Essentially, the main difference between the two is the technology used to achieve their performance.

2. How do Ford EcoBoost and Inline 6 engines compare in terms of performance?

Ford EcoBoost engines typically offer more horsepower and torque compared to Inline 6 engines due to their turbocharged design. However, Inline 6 engines are known for their smooth and quiet operation, making them a popular choice for luxury vehicles. Overall, both engines offer strong performance, but in different ways.

3. Are Ford EcoBoost and Inline 6 engines reliable?

Both Ford EcoBoost and Inline 6 engines are known for their reliability. However, as with any engine, proper maintenance and care are crucial for ensuring longevity and performance. Regular oil changes, tune-ups, and following the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule can help keep these engines running smoothly for years to come.

4. What are the benefits of using a Ford EcoBoost or Inline 6 engine?

The main benefits of using a Ford EcoBoost engine include increased power and torque, improved fuel efficiency, and reduced emissions. On the other hand, Inline 6 engines offer a smooth and balanced power delivery, as well as a potentially quieter operation. Both engines also benefit from the use of advanced technologies, such as turbocharging and direct injection.

5. Can Ford EcoBoost and Inline 6 engines be used in a variety of vehicles?

Yes, Ford EcoBoost and Inline 6 engines can be found in a wide range of Ford vehicles, from sedans and SUVs to trucks and sports cars. Ford has been expanding the use of these engines in their vehicles, showcasing their versatility and ability to meet the needs of different drivers and driving situations.