Comparing Plasma TV and LCD: Is There a Difference?

In summary: The backlight is an LED which produces light in a wide range of colors similar to an LCD TV, but it is also quite thin so the TV can be quite a bit bigger than an LCD TV without being too bulky.
sniffer
i am curious to know, what is the difference (if there is) between plasma TV technology and LCD?

my friend asked me this, and i said they are probably the same. are they?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, plasma TV uses gas discharge devices, similar to neon lamps, while LCD uses polarized molecules, similar to cholesterol, to generate the images. It is the same technology used in digital watches.

Wow, I just came across this thread in a dirtbike forum that I frequent:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276804

I had no idea that plasma TVs could have burn-in problems. Sounds best to avoid them and stick with LCD or projection.

berkeman said:
Wow, I just came across this thread in a dirtbike forum that I frequent:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276804

I had no idea that plasma TVs could have burn-in problems. Sounds best to avoid them and stick with LCD or projection.
I have heard quite a few sources say that. I was very surprised to hear that considering the cost of a plasma. I was also shocked to hear of the picture degredation after the first year or so. It made me wonder why anyone would spend that kind of money on one.

sniffer said:
i am curious to know, what is the difference (if there is) between plasma TV technology and LCD?

my friend asked me this, and i said they are probably the same. are they?
There are manny differences, but now, the best in domain is the LED TV.
LED TV is a term used by Samsung to describe its line of LCD (liquid crystal display) TVsthat use LED backlighting.
LED-backlit LCD TVs do differ from conventional LCD TVs in some important areas:
1- They can produce a very bright image and deep blacks (doesn't work for Edge-LED
2- With Edge-LED lighting they can be extremely slim.
3- They can offer lower power consumption.
4- They can offer a wider colour gamut, especially when RGB-LED backlighting is used.

Last edited:
My Samsung laptop has a LED screen which uses the same tech as LED TVs and it looks fantastic. Colors are much more vibrant and vivid, and the screen is crazy bright (I usually keep it at 50% brightness). The extra battery life is a big plus too.

I've heard there have been some issues with their LED TVs though. While the picture is suppose to be fantastic I guess there are some problems with the viewing angles.

Topher925 said:
My Samsung laptop has a LED screen which uses the same tech as LED TVs and it looks fantastic. Colors are much more vibrant and vivid, and the screen is crazy bright (I usually keep it at 50% brightness). The extra battery life is a big plus too.

I've heard there have been some issues with their LED TVs though. While the picture is suppose to be fantastic I guess there are some problems with the viewing angles.

Ya, I know that...very attractive, isn't it?

green1706 said:
Ya, I know that...very attractive, isn't it?

Which part? The fact that they look fantastic and bright and sharp, or the fact that they have poor viewing angles?

OLED blows away all the other technologies mentioned above. Too bad the price is so steep, at the moment.

cepheid said:
Which part? The fact that they look fantastic and bright and sharp, or the fact that they have poor viewing angles?
After I managed to blink, I had a walk around it and again was truly amazed. The size! Although I know LED TVs are Ultra Thin, again, I don’t believe you can really appreciate how big a difference there is until you see one in.

Samsung LED TV is effectively an LCD TV just with different source of light.

1. What is the main difference between plasma and LCD TVs?

The main difference between plasma and LCD TVs is the technology used to display the image. Plasma TVs use tiny gas cells that are charged to create light, while LCD TVs use liquid crystals that are backlit by a fluorescent light source.

2. Which type of TV offers better picture quality?

It is subjective and depends on personal preference, but generally plasma TVs are known for having better picture quality due to their deeper blacks and better color accuracy. However, LCD TVs have made significant improvements in recent years and can now produce high quality images as well.

3. Is there a difference in energy efficiency between plasma and LCD TVs?

Yes, there is a difference in energy efficiency between the two types of TVs. LCD TVs are generally more energy efficient, using less power and producing less heat than plasma TVs. This is because LCD TVs do not require as much electricity to light up the pixels as plasma TVs do.

4. Which type of TV is more affordable?

LCD TVs tend to be more affordable than plasma TVs. This is because the production costs for LCD TVs are lower and they are more widely available, leading to more competition and lower prices. However, prices for both types of TVs have decreased in recent years.

5. Do plasma or LCD TVs have a longer lifespan?

Typically, plasma TVs have a longer lifespan than LCD TVs. Plasma TVs can last up to 100,000 hours, while LCD TVs have an average lifespan of around 60,000 hours. However, with advancements in technology, both types of TVs can last for many years with proper care and usage.