Linear Transformations question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a given function T: R^3 ----> R^2, defined by T(X1, X2, X3) = (2X1 - X2 + X3, X2 - 4X3), is a linear transformation. The definition of a linear transformation is that T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v) and T(cu) = cT(u). The speaker asks for clarification on what values to use for Y1, Y2, and Y3 when comparing T[(X1, X2, X3)+(Y1, Y2, Y3)] and T(X1, X2, X3) + T(Y1
johnnyboy2005
I'm just wondering if someone can let me know if I'm on the right path here...

this question asks to show that the Function T: R^3 ----> R^2 given by the formula T(X1, X2, X3) = (2X1 - X2 + X3, X2 - 4X3) is a linear transformation.

soln' the definition of a L.T. is that T(u + v) = T(u) + T(V)

and T(cU) = cT(U)

so i show that T[(X1, X2, X3)+(Y1, Y2, Y3)] = T(X1, X2, X3) + T(Y1, Y2, Y3)...but what do i use as Y1, Y2, Y3? thanks for the time and help

Physics news on Phys.org
Just leave them like that. Using the definition of T, write out explicitely what T[(X1, X2, X3)+(Y1, Y2, Y3)] is, and write explicitely what T(X1, X2, X3) + T(Y1, Y2, Y3) is, and then compare.

but what happens to (2X1 - X2 + X3, X2 - 4X3)?? do i just write the X's as Ys?

If f(x)= x2, what is f(y)?

y as in yes, i got it!

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the vector addition and scalar multiplication operations.

What are the properties of a linear transformation?

There are several properties of a linear transformation, including:

• Preservation of vector addition: f(u + v) = f(u) + f(v)
  • Preservation of scalar multiplication: f(ku) = kf(u)
  • Preservation of the zero vector: f(0) = 0
  • Preservation of linear combinations: f(au + bv) = af(u) + bf(v)

How can I recognize a linear transformation?

A linear transformation can be recognized by its graph, which will always be a straight line passing through the origin. Additionally, a linear transformation can be represented by a matrix in standard form, where the entries in each row are constant multiples of each other.

What is the difference between a linear transformation and a nonlinear transformation?

A linear transformation preserves vector addition and scalar multiplication, while a nonlinear transformation does not. This means that the graph of a linear transformation will always be a straight line, while the graph of a nonlinear transformation will not be.

What is the inverse of a linear transformation?

The inverse of a linear transformation is another linear transformation that "undoes" the original transformation. In other words, if f is a linear transformation and g is its inverse, then g(f(x)) = x for all values of x. The inverse of a linear transformation can be found by using the inverse of the matrix representation of the original transformation.