How Can We Study Exoplanets Using the Doppler Effect?

In summary, the group of friends has formed a club to learn more about astrophysics and mathematics. They are considering tackling some relativity, but their math background is limited. They were wondering if anyone had any suggestions or directions for study. One suggestion was to read an interesting book called "Gravity from the Ground Up."
Brandon BW
Several friends and I have a great yet unexplored interest in Astrophysics, and interesting Math not taught in the typical high school course. We have decided on forming a discussion based "club" (we will read/do research in between discussions) to help us learn more deeply and efficiently. I am a senior in High School, and would love to accomplish something by the summer because it may be difficult to continue discussing the concepts with the same people afterwards. We would like to try and tackle some relativity, but our math background in limited (I'll be starting multi-variable calculus next semester, and there are a few that haven't taken calculus yet). I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or directions for study that may be satisfying, yet plausible. We could find help for some difficult concepts, but we can't have a Physics professor with us all the time.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
http://www.gravityfromthegroundup.org/ might be an interesting book for you guys to work through. It uses no calc and covers quite a few physically interesting topics, ranging through various parts of classical mechanics to a bit of general relativity, all with an emphasis on astro and cosmology.

The mathematics behind special relativity isn't too difficult for high school students if you did want to have a look at it. General Relativity in comparison is a lot harder. Exoplanets have been quite big for a while. You could read up on the detection methods and the planned missions to detect them. If you wanted to explore the maths behind the detection methods you shouldn't be too challenged.

Beyond that just read whatever takes your interest.

Kurdt said:
Exoplanets have been quite big for a while. You could read up on the detection methods and the planned missions to detect them. If you wanted to explore the maths behind the detection methods you shouldn't be too challenged.

That strikes me as an extremely good suggestion.

Most of the exoplanets that have been detected so far have been discovered by observing wobble Doppler-effect.
How can an astronomer estimate the mass of a planet, and its distance from the star, without seeing the planet itself?

to understand how that works, you learn a bunch of things that are really basic to astrophysics (more basic, actually more used, I would say, than special relativity.) The math is simple but elegant.

Geoff Marcy is a hero of mine. Lick observatory where he and Paul Butler discovered some of the first exoplanets is near here. I went to visit it. Met Marcy and heard him talk back in the 1990s soon after their first findings were announced.

The techniques for measuring the Doppler shift due to a few tens of meters per second motion of a star, towards and away, were at that time very ingenious. Marcy would put an iodine lightbulb up in the telescope so that they could compare the star's spectral lines with the known spectral lines of iodine. They had to be able to see shifts in the lines with unprecedented precision.

The whole exoplanet thing is historical and fascinating. Kurdt mentioned orbital instruments that will be launched to carry on with the planet search. I think it would be an extremely good thing to study in high school----many aspects---accessible---several branches of science involved. Plenty of stuff available online too.

What is High School Astrophysics and why is it important?

High School Astrophysics is a branch of science that deals with the study of celestial objects and phenomena. It is important because it helps students understand the fundamental concepts of physics and astronomy, and how they apply to our universe.

What topics are covered in High School Astrophysics?

Some of the topics covered in High School Astrophysics include the properties of stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies, planetary motion, the origin and evolution of the universe, and the tools and methods used by astronomers to study these objects.

Do I need to have a strong background in math and science to study High School Astrophysics?

While a strong background in math and science can be helpful, it is not a requirement for studying High School Astrophysics. As long as you have a basic understanding of these subjects and a strong interest in astronomy, you can excel in this field.

What are some potential career paths for students interested in High School Astrophysics?

Studying High School Astrophysics can lead to a variety of career paths, including becoming an astronomer, astrophysicist, aerospace engineer, or science educator. It can also provide a strong foundation for pursuing further education in astronomy or physics in college.

What are some resources for students interested in learning more about High School Astrophysics?

There are many resources available for students interested in learning more about High School Astrophysics, including textbooks, online courses, educational websites, and clubs or organizations at school. Additionally, students can participate in science fairs, attend lectures or workshops, and visit planetariums or observatories to further their understanding of the subject.