Stokes' Theorem: Evaluating a Contour Integral for a Given Surface

In summary: For homework, an equation for a surface integral was given. The equation specified that the surface integral would be evaluated over the square S which has vertices at (x, y, z) and has normal vector n at (0, 0, +1). Evaluating the surface integral directly yielded an answer of +6 or -6. Applying Stokes' Theorem and determining the integral by evaluating the corresponding contour integral yielded the following results: a) The integral over the square is (6x + 2z^2 - 6x - 2z^
s_gunn

Homework Statement

Let: [tex]\vec{F}(x,y,z) = (2z^{2},6x,0),[/tex] and S be the square: [tex]0\leq x\leq1, 0\leq y\leq1, z=1. [/tex]

a) Evaluate the surface integral (directly):
[tex]\int\int_{S}(curl \vec{F})\cdot\vec{n} dA[/tex]

b) Apply Stokes' Theorem and determine the integral by evaluating the corresponding contour integral.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int\int_{S}(curl \vec{F})\cdot\vec{n} dA = \oint_{C}\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Basically I took the curl of F and got (0, 4z, 6) and dotted it with the normal vector which is either (0,0,+1) or (0,0,-1) as no orientation was given in the question! which gave me a value of +6 or -6.

b) now this is the part which has confused me! How on Earth do I find the corresponding contour integral?? I have no idea how to find dr and I'm not sure what to do about parametizing the square.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I have a similar problem involving Gauss' Law so am hoping to kill two birds with one stone!

Physics news on Phys.org
the normal to use for the first part is determeined by a right hand rule, to line up with the direction you go around the contour

now to do the contour integral, see it as the sum of 4 line intergals, one for each side of the square

[itex] \vec{dr} [/itex] will be an infinitesimal in the direction of the line, be careful with direction. eg if the direction is the +ve x, it essentially reduces to [itex] \vec{dr} = (dx, 0, 0) [/itex]

Pick a way to go around say counter clockwise form above and stick to it, setting the [itex] \vec{dr} [/itex] direction & limits accordingly

I still don't get it!

if i name the corners of the square a,b,c and d for (0,0,1), (0,1,1), (1,1,1) and (1,0,1) respectively, then will dr be:
a->b: (0,dy,0)
b->c: (dx,0,0)
c->d: (0,-dy,0)
d->a: (-dx,0,0)?

But then when I dot product with f=(2z^2,6x,0) and integrate each seperately, I get:
6x + 2z^2 - 6x - 2z^2 = 0

Forgive me if I'm being stupid but we've only ever done stokes' law the other way round so I've never had any experience this way!

Can anyone find a way to explain this to me or point me in the right direction? I've been searching online and my books for hours and the only examples that I find are the opposite way round!

s_gunn said:
I still don't get it!

if i name the corners of the square a,b,c and d for (0,0,1), (0,1,1), (1,1,1) and (1,0,1) respectively, then will dr be:
a->b: (0,dy,0)
b->c: (dx,0,0)
c->d: (0,-dy,0)
d->a: (-dx,0,0)?

But then when I dot product with f=(2z^2,6x,0) and integrate each seperately, I get:
6x + 2z^2 - 6x - 2z^2 = 0

Forgive me if I'm being stupid but we've only ever done stokes' law the other way round so I've never had any experience this way!

show your working!

these are definte integrals, so you should end up with a number for each integral, not a function...

so for a->b:(0,0,1)->(0,1,1) along the y axis
notice x = 0, z=1, only y is changing
[tex] \vec{F} \bullet \vec{dr} = (2z^2,6x,0)\bullet (0,1,0)dy = 6x.dy |_{x=0}[/tex]

so there is actually no field component parallel to dy in the integral...

note the dot product method is a slight shortcut in notation, really should parameteris the line in terms of a variable & integrate, though as teh intergals are along axes in this question we can take the shortcut

What is Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field to the line integral of its curl along the boundary of the surface. It is an important tool in the study of vector calculus and has applications in fields such as fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.

What is the problem with Stokes' theorem?

The problem with Stokes' theorem is that it only applies to smooth surfaces and vector fields. If the surface or the vector field has discontinuities or singularities, Stokes' theorem cannot be used.

Can Stokes' theorem be applied to any type of surface?

No, Stokes' theorem can only be applied to smooth surfaces, which are surfaces that have a well-defined tangent plane at every point. It cannot be applied to surfaces with sharp edges or corners, such as a cone or a cube.

What is the relationship between Stokes' theorem and Green's theorem?

Stokes' theorem is a generalization of Green's theorem, which relates the line integral of a vector field to the double integral of its divergence over a region in the xy-plane. Green's theorem can be seen as a special case of Stokes' theorem, where the surface is a flat plane.

Are there any real-world applications of Stokes' theorem?

Yes, Stokes' theorem has many real-world applications in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and differential geometry. It is used to calculate the circulation of a fluid flow around a closed path or the flux of a magnetic field through a surface, among other things.