Carl Jung’s synchronicity and ‘quantum entanglement’

In summary: The strategic plan includes sections on "research", "education", and "public outreach". There is also a section on "donations" which boasts over $500,000 in donations over the past 5 years. Not to mention, the Samueli Institute has been featured on the "reality TV show, "Psych". Furthermore, the site links to other "quantum quackology" sites. This is not a site to be taken seriously.
limarodessa
Hello all!

I propose to discuss the Carl Jung’s synchronicity problem in context of such phenomenon as ‘quantum entanglement’

There are several interesting papers in the NET about

http://journalofcosmology.com/QuantumConsciousness103.html

In this paper we describe synchronicity phenomena. As an explanation of these phenomena we propose quantum entanglement between the psychic realm known as the "unconscious" and also the classical illusion of the collapse of the wave-function. Then, taking the theory of quantum information as a model we consider the human unconscious, pre-consciousness and consciousness as sets of quantum bits (qu-bits). We analyze how there can be communication between these various qu-bit sets. In doing this we are inspired by the theory of nuclear magnetic resonance. In this manner we build quantum processes that permit consciousness to "read" the unconscious and vice-versa. The most elementary interaction, e.g. between a pre-consciousness qu-bit and a consciousness one, allows us to predict the time evolution of the pre-consciousness + consciousness system in which pre-consciousness and consciousness are quantum entangled. This time evolution exhibits Rabi oscillations that we name mental Rabi oscillations. This time evolution shows how, for example, the unconscious can influence consciousness and vice-versa. In a process like mourning the influence of the unconscious on consciousness, as the influence of consciousness on the unconscious, are in agreement with what is observed in psychiatry.

Physics news on Phys.org
<sniff sniff> Uh oh. I smell woo-woo.

The problem with this type of writing is that it encourages pseudo-scientific thinking. There's nothing on that site that suggests experimental data or even experimental design. Furthermore, the conclusion promotes the classical faux pas of the false dichotomy: "it cannot be explained presently, and this is the best evidence for our new idea."

In just a few minutes, I counted:
  • argument from authority,
    The amygdala and the hippocampus are some of the main structures of the limbic system, with the amygdala playing a major role in emotional memory, and the hippocampus in storing non-emotional memories. So, in some respects, the limbic system could be compared to the unconscious (Joseph 1992).
  • proof from verbosity,
    The fundamental characteristic of the most elementary interaction between two mental qubits, e.g. between a qu-bit of pre-consciousness and a qu-bit of consciousness, is to highlight, as a function of time, oscillations between two quantum states made of two correlated qu-bits; i.e. the states /I1 > /C0 > and /C1 > /I0 > (I for "Insight" or pre-consciousness and C for "Consciousness").
  • baseless claims,
    There are many examples of such long range correlations between events which are causally unrelated, or subjects who engage in identical behaviors, often simultaneously: twins, relatives, members of a couple, friends, or scientists who make the same discoveries at around the same time.
  • the "middle man" fallacy (arguing at that mechanics of the process are an explanation of the process itself), and worst of all
  • argument from ignorance.
    In summary, some mental phenomena are not explainable in the framework of what we call "classical" mechanics. Let us cite, among others, the phenomenon of awareness, the correlations at a distance between individuals, and more generally the synchronicity phenomena.

I can say that I've read the entire page now and I wouldn't recommend it as reading for anyone else. I confuses scientific words with pseudo-scientific thinking which is a recipe for disaster for the amateur scientific reader.

-Flex*All quotes taken directly from the site linked in the original poster's post.

FlexGunship said:
I wouldn't recommend it as reading for anyone else.

Well. What do you think about this ? :

http://samueliinstitute.org/news/405-SIIB/version/default/part/AttachmentData/data/von%20Lucadou%20J%20Consciousness%20Stud%202007.pdf [Broken]

Synchronistic or psi phenomena are interpreted as entanglement
correlations in a generalized quantum theory. From the principle
that entanglement correlations cannot be used for transmitting
information, we can deduce the decline effect, frequently observed in
psi experiments, and we propose strategies for suppressing it and
improving the visibility of psi effects. Some illustrative examples are
discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:
limarodessa said:
well. What do you think about this ? :

http://samueliinstitute.org/news/405-siib/version/default/part/attachmentdata/data/von%20lucadou%20j%20consciousness%20stud%202007.pdf [Broken]

First sentence:
[...] paranormal phenomena like telepathy, psychokinesis or
precognition are of notoriously eerie and elusive nature.

This is not scientific writing!

I'm very sorry that someone has been giving you this as reading material. The hosting site is "http://samueliinstitute.org/" [Broken] Have you taken any time to look into this organization? They are a pseudo-scientific research group. Here's an excellent tip-off:

[PLAIN]http://samueliinstitute.org/research/104-SIIB/version/default/part/11/data [Broken]

You are reading articles about "quantum quackiology" from a site that shows a man getting an acupuncture treatment. Furthermore, there is more information on their "donations" page than there is on any of their "mission statement" pages.

These are NOT good sources of scientific literature.

EDIT:

It took some digging (about 3 minutes worth of digging) to find the "strategic plan" page which hosts a PDF describing the institution (http://samueliinstitute.org/news/150-SIIB/version/default/part/AttachmentData/data/Samueli%20Institute%20Strategic%20Plan.pdf [Broken])

In the PDF we learn about Susan and Henry Samueli, the founders of the organization hosting your selected reading. Susan has a doctorate in homeopathy.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to what Flex has said the Journal of Cosmology is a fairly notorious pseudo-science journal trying to mascaraed as a proper scientific publisher. This is the same as how the creationist movement started their own "peer-reviewed" journals where they just publish all their rubbish in a manner that tries to disguise it as real science.

ryan_m_b said:
To add to what Flex has said the Journal of Cosmology is a fairly notorious pseudo-science journal trying to mascaraed as a proper scientific publisher. This is the same as how the creationist movement started their own "peer-reviewed" journals where they just publish all their rubbish in a manner that tries to disguise it as real science.
Correct, it is not a valid journal. Thread closed.

1. What is synchronicity according to Carl Jung?

Synchronicity, according to Carl Jung, is the concept of meaningful coincidences that cannot be explained by cause and effect, but rather by a deeper connection of events and thoughts. It suggests that seemingly unrelated events can have a meaningful connection based on the timing of their occurrence.

2. How does synchronicity relate to quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two particles can become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This concept aligns with synchronicity as it suggests a deeper connection between events and thoughts that cannot be explained by traditional cause and effect.

3. Is there any scientific evidence for synchronicity and quantum entanglement?

While there is no concrete scientific evidence for synchronicity and quantum entanglement, there have been studies and experiments that have shown a correlation between the two concepts. However, more research is needed to fully understand the connection between the two.

4. Can synchronicity be explained by other scientific theories?

Some scientists argue that synchronicity can be explained by other theories, such as the law of large numbers or the human tendency to find patterns in random events. However, others believe that synchronicity is a unique concept that cannot be fully explained by any one theory.

5. How can we apply the concept of synchronicity in our daily lives?

Jung believed that synchronicity could be used as a tool for self-discovery and personal growth. By paying attention to meaningful coincidences in our lives, we can gain insight into our thoughts and emotions and make connections between seemingly unrelated events. This can help us understand ourselves better and make positive changes in our lives.