Centripetal force motorcycle problem

In summary, the problem involves a motorcycle traveling up and down a hill with a circular arc crest. The radius of the crest is 45 meters and the maximum speed that the cycle can have without losing contact with the road needs to be determined. The forces acting on the cycle at the top of the hill are its weight, mg, pointing down towards the center of the circle, and the normal force, FN, pointing up and away from the center of the circle. The free body diagram shows that FN does not equal mg, and in fact, must be zero for the cycle to just lose contact with the road. This provides a hint for solving the problem.
bulbasaur88
A motorcycle is traveling up one side of a hill and down the other side. The crest of the hill is a circular arc with a radius of 45.0 meters. Determine the maximum speed that the cycle can have while moving over the crest without losing contact with the road.

Will somebody sound this problem out with me please? I think I am missing an important concept that I am missing...

Given
r = 45 m
Vmax = ____ m/s

What I Gather
We do not want the motorcycle to lose contact with the road, especially at the zenith.

At the very top of the hill, we have mg pointing down towards the center of the circle. We also have FN, which points up and away from the center of the circle.

***I hope the above forces have been set up correctly in my free body diagram.***

My question is: Doesn't FN = mg ?

That would give me: FC = mv2 / r = mg - FN = 0

? I get lost here...I am sure there is something wrong with either my FBD or my reasoning. Can I get a hint please?

Physics news on Phys.org
bulbasaur88 said:
At the very top of the hill, we have mg pointing down towards the center of the circle. We also have FN, which points up and away from the center of the circle.

***I hope the above forces have been set up correctly in my free body diagram.***
Looks good.

My question is: Doesn't FN = mg ?
No. If FN = mg, then the net force on the motorcycle would be zero--no acceleration at all.

Hint: What must FN be when the motorcycle just loses contact with the road?

Zero! - thank you :))))

1. What is the centripetal force motorcycle problem?

The centripetal force motorcycle problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the amount of force needed to keep a motorcycle moving in a circular path at a constant speed.

2. How is centripetal force related to the motorcycle's speed and radius of the curve?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the motorcycle's speed squared and inversely proportional to the radius of the curve. This means that as the motorcycle's speed increases, the centripetal force needed to keep it moving in a circular path also increases, while a larger radius of the curve decreases the required centripetal force.

3. How can the centripetal force motorcycle problem be solved?

The centripetal force motorcycle problem can be solved using the formula F = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the motorcycle, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the curve. Alternatively, it can also be solved using the formula F = mω^2r, where ω is the angular velocity of the motorcycle.

4. What are the units of measurement for centripetal force?

The units of measurement for centripetal force are Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg * m/s^2.

5. How does centripetal force affect the motorcycle and its rider?

Centripetal force causes the motorcycle and its rider to experience a centripetal acceleration, which is directed towards the center of the circle. This acceleration is responsible for keeping the motorcycle moving in a circular path and can also cause the rider to lean towards the inside of the curve to maintain balance.