How competent did you feel as a physics graduate/recent post graduate student?

In summary, at 24 years old, the author feels like he is not as competent or knowledgeable as he thought he was when he graduated from a four year physics course at a highly rated British university in 2011. He has since started a PhD, but sometimes feels poorly informed about what is really going on in current research. Most of his course focussed on things that have been established for decades or longer, but at the end of the first year he started to feel more confident. He is not alone in this feeling, and everyone forgets stuff.
jeebs
I graduated a four year physics course at a quite highly rated British university in 2011, and am now 24 years old. I managed a to graduate with a 1st and am now into the first year of my PhD, but I sometimes question if I'm really that competent/knowledgeable. I feel as though I have forgotten significant amount of what I have covered in the past 10 or so years of learning physics, with too little time/energy to go back and re-learn it all. So much material hastily learned for exams and then gradually forgotten. You hear so much these days about university degrees becoming easier, so I can't help but wonder if it's true - have I gained a deep understanding of things, or have I just figured out how to pass exams effectively? More than anything I feel poorly informed about what is really going on in current research, I mean, most of my course focussed on things that have been established for decades or longer.

Is this a common feeling amongst people at this stage in their physics career, regardless of which decade we're in? At what point did you start feeling like a "real" physicist (at least in your depth/breadth of understanding, if not in your official job title)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am the same age as you although I am a second year graduate student. During my first year I did not feel very competent in physics at all. It wasn't so much forgetting things from undergrad though. I mainly felt like I had a lot of gaps in my knowledge. It seemed like a lot of other graduate students had similar feelings.

I will say that by the end of the first year, especially after studying hard and passing my quals, I began to feel much more confident. I don't know if I would call myself a full-blown physicist but, I definitely feel like I am getting there.

I obviously can't speak for graduate students in past decades but I hope you feel better knowing you aren't alone.

Everyone forgets stuff.

No one will expect you to 'do it all again' or fix it all in permanent memory. You might find yourself in a situation where you may have to, say, teach the E&M course you once took. Then you should go over it again... preferably not while giving the lecture :)

Learning is not, crucially, about permanently memorising some basic physics knowledge. It's about being able to learn, or re-learn, stuff that you need for your current research project or work task.

Physics is an old science, there's an awful lot to learn. Why would you expect to be taken to the research frontier by your undergraduate degree?

If you are doing a PhD in physics then you are a real physicist, at least in embryo.

Someone1987 said:
I will say that by the end of the first year, especially after studying hard and passing my quals...

He's in the UK, where the BSc is "passing quals"... actually he did four years so probably has an MSc, so he should at least act confident :)

First of all, congratulations on your academic achievements and for pursuing a PhD in physics! As a fellow scientist, I can understand and relate to the feelings of self-doubt and questioning one's competence in the field.

It is natural to feel overwhelmed and question our knowledge and understanding, especially in a field as vast and complex as physics. The amount of information we learn in university can be overwhelming, and it is impossible to retain all of it throughout our career. Additionally, the pressure of exams and grades can sometimes lead to a focus on memorization rather than deep understanding of concepts. However, this does not mean that your degree or knowledge is not valuable or meaningful. The skills and critical thinking you have gained through your education are just as important as the specific knowledge.

In terms of the difficulty of university degrees, it is important to remember that education is constantly evolving and adapting to new research and advancements. While it may seem like degrees are becoming easier, it is more likely that the focus has shifted towards developing skills and critical thinking rather than just memorization. As for current research, it is always a good idea to stay updated and continuously learn about new developments in your field. This can be through attending seminars, conferences, or simply keeping up with scientific literature.

Feeling like a "real" physicist is a personal journey and may vary from person to person. It is important to remember that there is no set timeline or specific point at which one can consider themselves a true expert in their field. It is a continuous process of learning and growth, and it is completely normal to feel like you have more to learn.

In conclusion, it is common for people at this stage in their physics career to question their competence and knowledge. However, it is important to recognize the value of your education and the skills you have gained. Keep an open mind, stay updated on current research, and continue to learn and grow in your field. You are on the right path and should be proud of your accomplishments.

1. How did your education and training prepare you for your current role as a physics graduate/recent post graduate student?

During my education and training as a physics graduate/post graduate student, I gained a strong foundation in core physics principles and theories, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. This has prepared me to approach complex problems and projects with a scientific and analytical mindset.

2. What specific skills or experiences did you gain during your time as a physics graduate/recent post graduate student?

As a physics graduate/post graduate student, I gained hands-on experience with various laboratory equipment and techniques, as well as data analysis and modeling skills. I also developed strong communication and teamwork skills through group projects and presentations.

3. How did you handle the workload and challenges as a physics graduate/recent post graduate student?

As a physics graduate/post graduate student, I learned to manage my time effectively and prioritize tasks to handle the workload and challenges. I also sought help and support from professors and peers when needed, and utilized resources such as study groups and tutoring to overcome any difficulties.

4. How did your physics education contribute to your critical thinking and problem-solving abilities?

My physics education taught me to approach problems and challenges with a logical and analytical mindset. Through various experiments and projects, I learned to think critically and creatively to find solutions. I also gained experience in using mathematical and computational tools to solve complex problems.

5. What opportunities did you have to apply your physics knowledge and skills outside of the classroom?

Throughout my education and training as a physics graduate/post graduate student, I had opportunities to apply my knowledge and skills through internships, research projects, and collaborations with industry partners. These experiences allowed me to gain real-world experience and enhance my understanding of how physics is applied in various fields.