How do i make a telescope computerized?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Patridor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    telescope
In summary, a pipe mount is a low-cost solution to making your telescope more stable. You can find instructions on how to make one on the website listed.
Patridor
Hello ,
i have a jessops 800-80 astronomical telescope and i was wondering how to make it more stable because when i was viewing saturn in virgo i was looking at it the a gentle breeze came and it just went wappy and the same when i was viewing the moon . so i thought is there a way to make it computerized or more stable so it won't go all over the place . it is a Altazimuth mount.

Patridor

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Patridor said:
Hello ,
i have a jessops 800-80 astronomical telescope and i was wondering how to make it more stable because when i was viewing saturn in virgo i was looking at it the a gentle breeze came and it just went wappy and the same when i was viewing the moon . so i thought is there a way to make it computerized or more stable so it won't go all over the place . it is a Altazimuth mount.

Patridor
Complicating the set-up with computer control won't help you. When you have a telescope that shudders at the lightest touch (even a gentle breeze) you have an OTA that is on a mount that is far too flimsy to ever allow you to enjoy using that 'scope. Sorry.

The alt-az mount is the problem with your telescope. There is a bit of play at EVERY joint... where the legs meet the tripod head, where the yoke is inserted into the tripod head, where the yoke attaches to the OTA and especially the side arm alt adjustment. There are things you can do to make it slightly better but the best solution is to scrap the tripod/mount. You could spend a lot more for a mount/tripod that would handle it or you could make one. Cut and paste this term into Google and see how to make a low-cost mount from threaded pipe.

"pipe mount" www.site:cloudynights.com

1. How do I make a telescope computerized?

Making a telescope computerized involves adding a computer-controlled motorized mount, a digital setting circle, and a computer interface to your existing telescope. This will allow you to control the movement of your telescope using a computer, and also provide you with accurate celestial coordinates for your observations.

2. What equipment do I need to make my telescope computerized?

In addition to your telescope, you will need a motorized mount, a digital setting circle, and a computer interface. You may also need additional cables and adapters depending on the specific equipment you are using.

3. Do I need any technical knowledge to make a telescope computerized?

Some technical knowledge is required in order to properly set up and calibrate the computerized components of your telescope. It is recommended to have some basic understanding of electronics and computer programming, or to seek assistance from a knowledgeable individual.

4. Can I make any telescope computerized?

Most telescopes can be made computerized with the addition of the necessary equipment. However, it is best to check the compatibility of your specific telescope model with the motorized mount, digital setting circle, and computer interface before making a purchase.

5. Are there any benefits to making a telescope computerized?

Making a telescope computerized allows for more precise and accurate tracking of celestial objects, making it easier to find and observe specific targets. It also allows for remote control and integration with astronomy software, making the observation process more streamlined and efficient.