Rotating Object Transformation: Length/Circumference Change?

In summary, the question posed is whether a disc-like object rotating at 0.86c relative to an observer would contract in length along the axis of rotation or the circumference. It is uncertain if radial contraction would occur due to centrifugal forces, and the feasibility may depend on the material properties of the disc. However, it is possible to construct a spinning disc from rigid elements with a non-Euclidean geometry.
Jakedasnake
If a disc-like object was rotating so that its outside edge was at about 0.86c (causing a factor of change of about 2) relative to an observer, then would it contract in length along the axis of rotation, or the circumference (relative to the observer)? in other words, would it get thinner or smaller?
Please correct me on any mistakes I made because I have next to no knowledge on this subject, I just need this information for a thought experiment I've been working on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the wheel would contract at all?

Jakedasnake said:
If a disc-like object was rotating so that its outside edge was at about 0.86c (causing a factor of change of about 2) relative to an observer, then would it contract in length along the axis of rotation, or the circumference (relative to the observer)? in other words, would it get thinner or smaller?
Please correct me on any mistakes I made because I have next to no knowledge on this subject, I just need this information for a thought experiment I've been working on.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrenfest_paradox

Spinning up a rigid disc from rest would brake it. For a deformable disc I'm not sure if radial contraction is possible due to centrifugal forces. It might depend on the assumed theoretical material properties. Real world materials would break way below this speeds.

But you can build an already spinning disc from rigid elements. The geometry described by those rigid elements is non-Euclidean.

1. What is Rotating Object Transformation?

Rotating Object Transformation is the process of changing the length or circumference of an object by rotating it around a fixed axis. This transformation is commonly used in mathematics and physics to study the properties of rotating objects.

2. How does Rotating Object Transformation affect the length and circumference of an object?

When an object is rotated, its length and circumference change due to the change in its orientation. The length and circumference of an object will increase or decrease depending on the direction and angle of rotation.

3. What factors can influence the length/circumference change in Rotating Object Transformation?

The length/circumference change in Rotating Object Transformation can be influenced by the radius of rotation, the angle of rotation, and the shape and size of the object. Other factors such as the speed of rotation and external forces can also have an impact on the length and circumference change.

4. Can Rotating Object Transformation be used to determine the properties of an object?

Yes, Rotating Object Transformation can be used to determine the properties of an object such as its moment of inertia, angular velocity, and angular momentum. By measuring the length/circumference change during rotation, scientists can calculate these properties and study the behavior of rotating objects.

5. What are some real-life applications of Rotating Object Transformation?

Rotating Object Transformation has various real-life applications, such as determining the stability of a spinning top, studying the rotation of planets and galaxies, and analyzing the behavior of rotating machinery. It is also used in sports science to study the movement and performance of athletes during rotation-based activities.