Abstract Algebra HW: Show nk=kn for N,K ∈ G

In summary, by using the fact that N and K are normal subgroups of G, we can show that nk=kn for all n\in N and k\in K by considering the elements nkn^{-1}k^{-1} and (nkn^{-1})k^{-1}. Since the intersection of N and K is {e}, it follows that nkn^{-1}k^{-1}=e, and therefore nk=kn for all n\in N and k\in K.
nateHI

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]N \lhd G [/itex] and [itex]K \vartriangleleft G[/itex] and [itex]N \cap K = \{e\}[/itex]. Show that if
[itex]n \in N [/itex]and [itex]k \in K[/itex], then [itex]nk = kn[/itex]. Hint: [itex]nk = kn[/itex] if and
only if [itex]nkn^{-1}k^{-1} = e[/itex].

Homework Equations

These "relevant equations" were not provided with the problem I'm just putting them here to make my solution more clear.
[itex]e=k_1^{-1}k_1[/itex]
[itex]e=n_1^{-1}n_1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]n_1,n_2\in N[/itex] and let [itex]k_1,k_2\in K[/itex]
Then
[itex](n_1)(k_1)(n_2)(k_2)=(n_1)(k_1)(n_2)e(k_2)=n_1(k_1n_2k_1^{-1})(k1k2)=n1NK=NK[/itex]
But
[itex](n_1)(k_1)(n_2)(k_2)=(n_1)(k_1)e(n_2)(k_2)=(n_1k_1n_1^{-1})(n_1n_2)k_2=KNk_2=Kk_2N=KN[/itex] where we used the fact that in this case, [itex]k_2 \notin N[/itex].
Therefore [itex]NK=KN[/itex] for all [itex]n\in N[/itex] and [itex]k\in K[/itex]

This seems correct to me but I didn't use the hint and my usage of [itex]N \cap K = \{e\}[/itex] seems a little hand wavey.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't follow your proof. I think you are confusing things by using two elements from each subgroup. You only need the elements given in the problem statement: [itex]n \in N[/itex] and [itex]k \in K[/itex]. Now consider the element [itex]nkn^{-1}k^{-1}[/itex]. The goal is to show that this equals [itex]e[/itex]. One promising way to do this would be to show that it is an element of [itex]N \cap K[/itex].

OK, I'll try your method next since I would like to know how to use the hint since the teacher is obviously trying to convey something he deems important. However, I modified my original method slightly and I think it works now. If someone has the time please tell if it does or how it doesn't work.

Then
[itex]{\bf (n_1)(k_1)(n_2)(k_2)}=(n_1)(k_1)(n_2)e(k_2)=n_1(k_1n_2k_1^{-1})(k1k2)=n1NK=NK[/itex]

But

[itex] {\bf (n_1)(k_1)(n_2)(k_2)}=(n_1)(k_1)e(n_2)(k_2)=(n_1k_1n_1^{-1})(n_1n_2)k_2=KNk_2=Kk_2N=KN[/itex]

Where we used the facts that [itex]Nk_2=k_2N[/itex], [itex]n_1N=N[/itex] and [itex]Kk_2=K[/itex]. Therefore [itex]NK=KN[/itex] for all [itex]n\in N[/itex] and [itex]k\in K[/itex]

nateHI said:
OK, I'll try your method next since I would like to know how to use the hint since the teacher is obviously trying to convey something he deems important. However, I modified my original method slightly and I think it works now. If someone has the time please tell if it does or how it doesn't work.

Then
[itex]{\bf (n_1)(k_1)(n_2)(k_2)}=(n_1)(k_1)(n_2)e(k_2)=n_1(k_1n_2k_1^{-1})(k1k2)=n1NK=NK[/itex]

What does this string of equalities even mean? If we look at just the leftmost and rightmost expressions, you are asserting that
[tex]n_1 k_1 n_2 k_2 = NK[/tex]
The left hand side is an element, but the right hand side is a group. How can an element equal a group?

jbunniii said:
What does this string of equalities even mean? If we look at just the leftmost and rightmost expressions, you are asserting that
[tex]n_1 k_1 n_2 k_2 = NK[/tex]
The left hand side is an element, but the right hand side is a group. How can an element equal a group?

Hmm, good point. I'll give this one last try using my method. Even if I don't get it this is good I feel like I'm learning a lot.

Here is my modification that I hope fixes it.

Then
[itex]{\bf (n_1)(k_1)(n_2)(k_2)}=(n_1)(k_1)(n_2)e(k_2)=n_1(k_1n_2k_1^{-1})(k_1k_2)=n_1nk=nk[/itex]

But

[itex] {\bf (n_1)(k_1)(n_2)(k_2)}=(n_1)(k_1)e(n_2)(k_2)=(n_1k_1n_1^{-1})(n_1n_2)k_2=knk_2=kk_2n=kn[/itex]

I guess the flaw now is that we can't assume that [itex]nk_2=k_2n[/itex]. Well I'll just use your method cause this probably won't work.

OK, this is better. But the problem is that the n and k in this equation:
[itex]{\bf (n_1)(k_1)(n_2)(k_2)}=(n_1)(k_1)(n_2)e(k_2)=n_1(k_1n_2k_1^{-1})(k_1k_2)=n_1nk=nk[/itex]

need not be the same as the n and k in this equation:
[itex] {\bf (n_1)(k_1)(n_2)(k_2)}=(n_1)(k_1)e(n_2)(k_2)=(n_1k_1n_1^{-1})(n_1n_2)k_2=knk_2=kk_2n=kn[/itex]

You have the right idea, but you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Try similar manipulations with the idea I suggested earlier.

I guess since the intersection of n and k is {e} for both of my n's of N and k's of K then intuitively nk=e and nk=e :tongue2: which implies nkn^-1k^-1=e and I'm done. I just need to formalize that idea.

nateHI said:
I guess since the intersection of n and k is {e} for both of my n's of N and k's of K then intuitively nk=e and nk=e :tongue2: which implies nkn^-1k^-1=e and I'm done. I just need to formalize that idea.

I didn't follow your argument. You have [itex]n \in N[/itex] and [itex]k \in K[/itex]. Now what can you say about the element [itex]nkn^{-1}k^{-1}[/itex]? Hint: what if you add some parentheses: [itex](nkn^{-1})k^{-1}[/itex]?

Where have you used the fact that N and K are normal subgroups of G?

OK, let me try to make it a little more precise.

Since [itex]N[/itex] is normal in [itex]G[/itex], any element [itex]k\in K[/itex] which also happens to be in [itex]G[/itex] since [itex]K[/itex] is a subgroup (the fact that K is normal isn't important until the next step) of [itex]G[/itex] we get [itex]knk^{-1}=n \implies nk=kn[/itex] for all [itex]n \in N[/itex].

Since [itex]K[/itex] is normal in [itex]G[/itex], any element [itex]n\in N[/itex] which also happens to be in [itex]G[/itex] since [itex]N[/itex] is a subgroup (the fact that N is normal is only important in the last step) of [itex]G[/itex] we get [itex]nkn^{-1}=k \implies kn=nk[/itex] for all [itex]k \in K[/itex].

However, the intersection of N and K can only be {e} therefore [itex]nk=e=kn \implies nkn^{-1}k^{-1}=en^{-1}k^{-1}=ee=e[/itex].

Furthermore [itex](nkn^{-1})k^{-1} \in K[/itex] and [itex]n(kn^{-1}k^{-1}) \in N[/itex]

Am I done? It seems like there should be a more concise way to say it regardless.

Wait wait I get it now...

If [itex](nkn^{-1})k^{-1} \in K[/itex] and [itex]n(kn^{-1}k^{-1}) \in N[/itex] where we have used the fact that N ad K are normal in G then [itex](nkn^{-1})k^{-1}=e[/itex]

and

[itex](nkn^{-1})k^{-1}=e \implies nk=kn[/itex]

Took me a while but I got it.

nateHI said:
Wait wait I get it now...

If [itex](nkn^{-1})k^{-1} \in K[/itex] and [itex]n(kn^{-1}k^{-1}) \in N[/itex] where we have used the fact that N ad K are normal in G then [itex](nkn^{-1})k^{-1}=e[/itex]

and

[itex](nkn^{-1})k^{-1}=e \implies nk=kn[/itex]

Took me a while but I got it.

Looks good to me.

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, by using abstract symbols and rules instead of specific numbers or variables.

2. What is a group in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, a group is a set of elements with a binary operation that satisfies four axioms: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. It is a fundamental algebraic structure that is used to model symmetry and transformations in various mathematical contexts.

3. What does the notation N, K ∈ G mean?

The notation N, K ∈ G means that both N and K are elements of the group G. In other words, N and K are members of the set that makes up the group G.

4. How is the equality nk=kn proven in abstract algebra?

The equality nk=kn can be proven using the properties of groups, specifically the commutative property. This property states that the order of the elements in a group does not affect the result of the binary operation. Therefore, nk=kn for any elements N and K in a group G.

5. How is abstract algebra used in real-world applications?

Abstract algebra has many applications in various fields, such as physics, computer science, and cryptography. It is used to model and solve problems related to symmetry, transformations, and data encryption. For example, group theory is used in quantum mechanics to describe the symmetries of subatomic particles, and ring theory is used in coding theory to design efficient error-correcting codes.