Big Bang to Black Holes: Could We Predict It?

• Thread starter zepp0814
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of the fate of the universe, with one theory suggesting it will end in a black hole singularity. The equation ds^s=dx^2+dz^2+dy^2-(cdt)^2 is mentioned, which shows the spacetime interval between two points in 3D space.
zepp0814
Hi I was wondering, so if scientist have this idea, it's not a new one, that after the big bang the universe when into almost like a dark age then when stars where formed they called in the star age. Anyway is it inevitable that the all the stars in the universe will either fade of became black holes. At this point could the universe actually just be receding back to a infinitely small and dense singularity. this would happen because if the universe was filled with black holes they would eventually all clump together. Is this an already accepted idea or is it new, i also could just be crazy:biggrin:

Space news on Phys.org
Hi Zepp0814! Welcome to the forum.
Yes, that is a common idea about the fate of the universe. It is one of the many hypothesized ways the universe could end.

The most widely accepted theory of the possible "end of the universe" is the Heat death, but I could be wrong here. As for the universe ending in a black hole singularity, it is referred to as the Big Crunch. For various theories regarding the end of the universe, see Ultimate fate of the universe.

zepp0814 said:
all the stars in the universe will either fade of became black holes.
hi...not all stars but many..still..its a obvious idea and who knows what is to happen as long as we don't have complete idea about this.

dev70 said:
zepp0814 said:
all the stars in the universe will either fade of became black holes.
hi...not all stars but many..still..its a obvious idea and who knows what is to happen as long as we don't have complete idea about this.

ALL stars will, following the current expansion of the universe, eventually become either dark and inactive or they will become black holes and eventually evaporate due to Hawking radiation. All of this takes a VERY long time.

What did you think would happen to those stars that you did not feel should be included in the statement?

thanks every one for the answer but i have another question. it is on a different topic. so i am hoping that all of you are familiar with the fact that a basic way of finding the distance between two points in 3d space is a^2+b^2+z^2=c^2. anyway i wanted to know in the equation ds^s=dx^2+dz^2+dy^2-(cdt)^2 does this show the distance between two points in in 3-d space including 1 time Dimension or does it show something different.

zepp0814 said:
thanks every one for the answer but i have another question. it is on a different topic. so i am hoping that all of you are familiar with the fact that a basic way of finding the distance between two points in 3d space is a^2+b^2+z^2=c^2. anyway i wanted to know in the equation ds^s=dx^2+dz^2+dy^2-(cdt)^2 does this show the distance between two points in in 3-d space including 1 time Dimension or does it show something different.

It shows the spacetime interval between two points. So you it's the distance (squared) between two points in 3D space minus the time interval (squared) times the speed of light.
Edit: I forgot to mention that the d's in the equation mean that the lengths are infinitesimal. Infinitesimal lengths are easier to work with because you can use them to derive the metric. [tex]g_{mn}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a single point of infinite density and temperature, and then rapidly expanded and cooled over billions of years.

2. How do scientists study the Big Bang?

Scientists study the Big Bang through various methods, including observations of cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the expansion of the universe. They also use mathematical models and simulations to understand the early stages of the universe.

3. Can we predict when the universe will end?

It is currently not possible to predict when the universe will end. The fate of the universe depends on factors such as its expansion rate and the amount of dark matter and dark energy present. These factors are still not fully understood by scientists.

4. What are black holes?

Black holes are regions in space where gravity is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape. They are created when a massive star collapses in on itself at the end of its life. Black holes are important in understanding the universe, as they can influence the movement of other objects and can also provide clues about the nature of gravity.

5. Is time travel possible through black holes?

The concept of time travel through black holes is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that it may be possible, but there is currently no scientific evidence to support this. More research and understanding of black holes is needed to fully explore this idea.