Is it possible to clean a telescope mirror?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of cleaning a telescope mirror that has been sitting for 15 years and has become dusty. The suggestion is made to send the mirror out to be recoated, potentially at Optic Wave Labs for around $50. However, the user warns about possible risks and suggests searching for alternatives.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
not to hijack - but seems not worth a separate thread.

About 30 years ago i bought Dad a 6" Meade mirror out of Sky&Telescope magazine.
We built a simple Newtonian with a redwood twelve sided tube. Local astronomy club deemed it "handsome" which Dad enjoyed tremendously.

It has now sat for fifteen years since his death and is quite dusty.

Is this something an amateur can do, or should i mail it someplace?

Suggestions welcome -

old jim

Astronomy news on Phys.org

You will be better off sending the mirror out and getting it recoated. After sitting around that long the coating will almost certainly need professional help. Optic wave labs, for example, [http://www.opticwavelabs.com/coating.php] will strip and recoat a 6 inch primary for around $50, and the secondary for $30 [perhaps less]. That is not a bad deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks, chronos - that'll be the plan.

old jim

jim hardy said:
not to hijack - but seems not worth a separate thread.

About 30 years ago i bought Dad a 6" Meade mirror out of Sky&Telescope magazine.
We built a simple Newtonian with a redwood twelve sided tube. Local astronomy club deemed it "handsome" which Dad enjoyed tremendously.

It has now sat for fifteen years since his death and is quite dusty.

Is this something an amateur can do, or should i mail it someplace?

Suggestions welcome -

old jim

Personally, I won't do business with Cary at Optic Wave Labs. Too risky. He hasn't taken any of my money but he has wasted a lot of my time. Search Cloudy Nights for the many tales of woe... and just as many happy endings. If you've already jumped in then good luck!

I think you'll need it.

I can confidently say that it is possible to clean a telescope mirror. However, it is important to proceed with caution and proper knowledge to avoid damaging the mirror. It is recommended to consult with a professional or a knowledgeable amateur before attempting to clean the mirror yourself. There are also professional services available that specialize in cleaning telescope mirrors. It is important to properly research and consider the options before making a decision. Ultimately, the goal is to preserve the quality and functionality of the telescope mirror for optimal viewing.

1. How often should a telescope mirror be cleaned?

The frequency of cleaning a telescope mirror depends on various factors such as the environment it is used in, the level of dust and debris accumulation, and the type of telescope. Generally, it is recommended to clean the mirror every 6-12 months, or whenever a noticeable decrease in image quality is observed.

2. Can I use regular cleaning products to clean a telescope mirror?

No, regular cleaning products should not be used to clean a telescope mirror as they can damage the delicate coatings on the mirror. It is best to use specialized cleaning solutions and materials specifically designed for telescope mirrors.

3. How do I know if my telescope mirror needs cleaning?

A telescope mirror needs cleaning when there is a noticeable decrease in image quality, such as blurry or distorted images. Additionally, if you see any visible dust or debris on the mirror, that is also an indication that it needs cleaning.

4. What is the best way to clean a telescope mirror?

The most effective way to clean a telescope mirror is by using a combination of compressed air and a specialized cleaning solution. First, use compressed air to remove any loose dust and debris from the mirror's surface. Then, use the cleaning solution and a microfiber cloth to gently wipe the mirror in a circular motion. Finally, use a dry microfiber cloth to remove any remaining residue.

5. Can I clean a telescope mirror myself or should I seek professional help?

It is possible to clean a telescope mirror yourself, but it requires careful handling and the use of specialized cleaning materials. If you are not confident in your ability to clean the mirror without damaging it, it is best to seek professional help. They have the necessary expertise and equipment to clean the mirror safely and effectively.