Where to find an alpha radiation silicon detector? (alpha spectroscopy)

In summary: I can't seem to find any alpha detectors using your first few ("Si-PIN detector" and "Si drift detector") keywords, I only get gamma detectors.I would like to get a high-quality (lab level) detector for alpha spectroscopy without the use of a large (and very expensive?) nitrogen-cooled detector.My budget is ~2-3k USD, so that should buy me all the equipment.for this budget you might have a look for the Xenon filled Contamat FHT111M, which also can detect some alpha particles. I am not sure if it is still produced. I have one for my purposes still working well.
Daniel-Dane
I am looking for an alpha detector to do an alpha spectroscopy (and maybe beta as well).
The rough setup is a vacuum tube with a detector in one end and a source in the other, possibly with a magnet in the middle.

I have googled around, but my problem is that I don't really know what is good.
I understand that a silicon detector has a very high energy resolution, which is what I want (although a radiation count will be a plus).

So, what should I look for? What companies should I know of? Something in Europe would be awesome, so the delivery won't be too long.

Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel-Dane said:
I am looking for an alpha detector to do an alpha spectroscopy (and maybe beta as well).
The rough setup is a vacuum tube with a detector in one end and a source in the other, possibly with a magnet in the middle.

I have googled around, but my problem is that I don't really know what is good.
I understand that a silicon detector has a very high energy resolution, which is what I want (although a radiation count will be a plus).

So, what should I look for? What companies should I know of? Something in Europe would be awesome, so the delivery won't be too long.

Hello Daniel-Dane,

depending on the highest Energy and the energy resolution you want to detect/resolve a Si-PIN or Si drift detector can be the right choice, however, for lab measurements usually N-cooled Germanium detectors are used.
We (Photron-X GmbH) have Si-PIN detectors from Moxtek (US-based company) with a proprietary USB data acquisition system and software to operate the detector.

Let me know your questions.

BRs,
SAXSIST

I can't seem to find any alpha detectors using your first few ("Si-PIN detector" and "Si drift detector") keywords, I only get gamma detectors.
I would like to get a high-quality (lab level) detector for alpha spectroscopy without the use of a large (and very expensive?) nitrogen-cooled detector.

My budget is ~2-3k USD, so that should buy me all the equipment.

for this budget you might have a look for the Xenon filled Contamat FHT111M, which also can detect some alpha particles. I am not sure if it is still produced.
I have one for my purposes still working well.
Detecting alphas is more a question of the entrance window, than the detector type. It also depends on the energy resolution you are expecting.

best regards,
SAXSIST

1. Where can I purchase an alpha radiation silicon detector?

There are many companies that specialize in producing and selling alpha radiation silicon detectors for alpha spectroscopy. Some popular options include Thermo Fisher Scientific, Canberra Industries, and Mirion Technologies. You can also find these detectors on online marketplaces such as Amazon or eBay.

2. How much does an alpha radiation silicon detector cost?

The cost of an alpha radiation silicon detector can vary depending on the brand, model, and features. On average, you can expect to pay anywhere from $500 to $5000 for a detector. Higher-end detectors with more advanced features may cost even more.

3. Are there any specific features I should look for in an alpha radiation silicon detector?

Some important features to consider when purchasing an alpha radiation silicon detector for alpha spectroscopy include the energy resolution, detection efficiency, and dynamic range. You may also want to consider the detector's size, durability, and compatibility with other equipment.

4. How do I properly use and maintain an alpha radiation silicon detector?

It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and maintenance of your alpha radiation silicon detector. This may include calibrating the detector regularly, storing it in a cool and dry place, and avoiding exposure to extreme temperatures or contaminants. It is also important to regularly check for any damage or wear and tear on the detector and replace any worn parts as needed.

5. Can I rent an alpha radiation silicon detector instead of purchasing one?

Some companies offer rental options for alpha radiation silicon detectors, which can be a cost-effective solution for short-term use or if you only need the detector for a specific project. However, if you will be using the detector regularly, it may be more cost-effective to purchase one. Additionally, rental options may have limited availability and may not offer the exact model or features you need.