Does Zero Divided by Zero Equal One and Zero at the Same Time?

• Thread starter Slicklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zero
In summary: Zero is just zero, there's nothing more to it. In fact, in mathematics, we have something called the "zero element", which is unique and behaves in a special way in different operations. But that doesn't change the fact that zero is still just zero. In summary, the conversation is about the concept of dividing by zero and whether it results in a value of 1 or 0. The expert summarizer points out that there can only be one zero and dividing by zero is not possible. The confusion and lack of actual mathematics in the conversation leads to the thread being locked.
Slicklight
Please bear with me. This is my first post.

I've put together quickly, with the best logic I could fathom, a solution to the infamous 0/0.

Does 0/0 = 1 and 0 at the same time with respect to 0?

By taking zero and dividing it by zero, you acknowledge that there is, in fact, the 'presence' of more than one zero. So "a zero" divided by "a zero" is also "a zero" no?
So zero isn't actually 'just plain' zero so much as it is... a zero. A single zero. One zero. Get it?

0/0 = 0

But 0 = (1*0)

Hence there are no ones, there is one zero.

1*0 obviously equals zero but... there is 'a'... zero. Presence.

Could someone aid me with my recent confusion/is this question more for a psychology/philosophy/theoretical physics themed site?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I see no "mathematics" or "pschology/philosophy/theoretical physics in what you wrote, just a lot of confusion mixed with as little "mysticism" when you talk about "zero isn't actually 'just plain' zero so much as it is... a zero. A single zero. One zero". Or was that just a pun on the different meanings of "one" in English.

I hope you see that a calculation cannot be "0 and 1 at the same time". 0/0, as a single calculation simply doesn't have a value. There are a number of different limits that, if you were to ignore basic rules of limits, would appear to give "0/0" but in fact can give many different limits: [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} x^2/x= 0[/itex], [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} x/x= 1[/itex], [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} ax/x= a[/itex] for any a.

Slicklight,
The short answer is that you can't divide by zero. Period.

You have a lot of confusion about zero. Perhaps this post will be helpful: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=530207

Owing to the lack of actual mathematics in your post, I am locking this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slicklight said:
By taking zero and dividing it by zero, you acknowledge that there is, in fact, the 'presence' of more than one zero.
No, there's only one. The way to see this is to consider what happens if there are two zeros, let's call them 0 and 0'. We would have 0'=0'·0=0. So the two zeros are the same.

Slicklight said:
So zero isn't actually 'just plain' zero so much as it is... a zero. A single zero. One zero. Get it?
Not at all.

I would like to clarify that the concept of dividing by zero is undefined in mathematics. This means that it does not have a specific value or solution. It is not equal to 1 or 0 or any other number. In fact, the concept of dividing by zero leads to contradictions and inconsistencies in mathematical equations.

In terms of your logic, it is important to understand that while we use the symbol "0" to represent nothing or absence of a quantity, it is still a number and follows the same mathematical rules as other numbers. This means that we cannot simply ignore it or treat it as a special case.

Furthermore, your argument that there is "presence" of more than one zero when dividing zero by zero is not valid. In mathematics, we use the concept of limits to approach the value of a function as it gets closer and closer to a certain point. In the case of 0/0, as the denominator approaches 0, the function becomes undefined and does not have a limit.

In summary, dividing by zero is not a valid mathematical operation and does not have a solution. It is not a question of psychology, philosophy, or theoretical physics, but rather a fundamental concept in mathematics. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

1. What is the value of zero divided by zero?

The value of zero divided by zero is undefined. This is because division by zero is mathematically undefined and does not have a specific numerical value.

2. Why is division by zero not allowed?

Division by zero is not allowed because it leads to mathematical inconsistencies and contradictions. For example, if we divide any number by zero, the result would be infinity, which is not a real number.

3. Can we assign a value to zero divided by zero?

No, we cannot assign a value to zero divided by zero. As mentioned earlier, division by zero is undefined and cannot be represented by a specific numerical value.

4. Is division by zero possible in any other mathematical system?

In some specialized mathematical systems, such as projective geometry, division by zero is defined and has a specific value. However, in the traditional real number system, division by zero is not allowed.

5. How can we solve equations involving zero divided by zero?

Since division by zero is undefined, we cannot solve equations that involve it. These equations are considered invalid and have no solutions.