Amateur Astronomy - Learn What to Look For in the Sky

In summary: Sky and Telescope magazine is a great source for practical articles on observing the sky. You can also use the software Stellarium to help you locate and identify stars and constellations. Start with the bright stars and work your way up from there. There are also many resources available online for learning about astronomy and observing the sky.
chemistry1
Hi !

I have a basic question : What should an amateur astronomer learn to better understand the sky he's watching ?

I love watching my sky at night (Even though the quality of it is discusting, too much light pollution.) But I feel I lack knowledge because I'm watching space, but I don't know what exactly I'm seeing. How would someone advance ?

Thank you (If my question isn't clear, I'll try to re-write it.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Find a book on naked eye astronomy and learn the constellations. For the major stars light pollution helps a bit, as it cuts out many stars leaving only the bright ones.

I have been in the high mountains with dark skies and no light pollution, I found it hard to find the stars I know because there were so many!

Start with the summer triangle, assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, and the circumpolar stars. You will not be able to see many of the smaller constellations but should be able to pick out the bright stars if nothing else.

Any suggestions concerning the book ?

Well the one I used 40yrs ago was call Naked Eye Astronomy, I think :)

I have searched for it and have not found it. There are so many out there and I cannot vouch for any of them. Perhaps someone else will help out.

If you wish to become familiar with the sky this is the starting place. Do you have Stellarium? Set your location and time, it will show you your sky. Start by finding the bright stars go from there.

good luck

"Sky and Telescope Magazine"

I have subscribed to this magazine for many years. It is probably the best source to guide you into astronomy with practical articles and a good opportunity to learn about observing the sky. There is a monthly sky chart and monthly sunrise and sunset planet visibility notices with easy-to-use diagrams. It is issued once a month and the cost is not very expensive. I highly recommend it. You may also visit the website:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/

Integral said:
Find a book on naked eye astronomy and learn the constellations. For the major stars light pollution helps a bit, as it cuts out many stars leaving only the bright ones.

I have been in the high mountains with dark skies and no light pollution, I found it hard to find the stars I know because there were so many!

Start with the summer triangle, assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, and the circumpolar stars. You will not be able to see many of the smaller constellations but should be able to pick out the bright stars if nothing else.

The funny thing is, I was looking at the sky, and decided to use stellarium like you said. First, I was able to locate Vega pretty easy and after I found Altair. To finish off, I found Deneb and I told myself, wow, that makes a good triangle. (I thought I "saw" something and was the first to see it lol) and when I went on wiki to know more about those three stars, I saw it talked about that summer triangle (Which I found without even looking for it, in a unconscious way xD) and it made me remember your recommendations for my searches ^^ Just wanted to tell you.

Stellarium is an incredibly useful software. I live in a city where there is far too much pollution and find it very convenient to use this software. The software simulation also allows you to turn on and off atmospheric effects. I try practicing by using the grids, star locations, constellation lines one day and then trying to figure the same the next day with everything off as if I were seeing the night sky. Give it a shot, I'm addicted to it!

I live in an area with pretty clear skies, and for many years I used a cardboard planarium and a set of Burnham's guides. Eventually, Tirion published his various charts and atlases, and those were a great help.

Bobbywhy said:
"Sky and Telescope Magazine"

I have subscribed to this magazine for many years. It is probably the best source to guide you into astronomy with practical articles and a good opportunity to learn about observing the sky. There is a monthly sky chart and monthly sunrise and sunset planet visibility notices with easy-to-use diagrams. It is issued once a month and the cost is not very expensive. I highly recommend it. You may also visit the website:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/

Sky and Telescope is great. Just a heads up to OP, though: You may not have to actually subscribe, depending on your local library. My local library holds a large amount of magazines, and always has new copies of Astronomy, as well as Sky and Telescope, so I would check your local library before subscribing.

chemistry1 said:
Hi !

I have a basic question : What should an amateur astronomer learn to better understand the sky he's watching ?

I love watching my sky at night (Even though the quality of it is discusting, too much light pollution.) But I feel I lack knowledge because I'm watching space, but I don't know what exactly I'm seeing. How would someone advance ?

make best use of internet to get detailed information about stars and constellations.. Just get into eclipse and moon positions.. try to generate more interest

chemistry1 said:
Hi !

Do you have a pair of binoculars? (Judging you don't have a telescope?)

If so, view the Moon and perhaps Saturn too. :thumbs:

1. What is amateur astronomy?

Amateur astronomy is the practice of observing and studying celestial objects and phenomena using tools and techniques accessible to non-professionals.

2. What can I see with amateur astronomy?

With amateur astronomy, you can see various objects in the night sky, such as planets, stars, galaxies, and nebulae. You can also observe astronomical events like eclipses and meteor showers.

3. What equipment do I need for amateur astronomy?

To get started in amateur astronomy, you will need a telescope, binoculars, or even just your eyes. Other helpful tools include star charts, a red light to preserve night vision, and a tripod for stability.

4. How do I find objects in the sky for amateur astronomy?

You can use a star chart or a mobile app to help you locate objects in the sky. You can also join a local astronomy club or attend star parties to learn from experienced amateur astronomers.

5. Is amateur astronomy a costly hobby?

Amateur astronomy can be as inexpensive or as costly as you make it. You can start with a basic telescope and gradually upgrade as you progress. Many amateur astronomers also build their own equipment to save costs.