Calculating Average of COS2X over a Sphere

• Thread starter lepori
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Average
In summary: I was doing a problem for you.In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the average of cos2x over a sphere and the confusion surrounding the correct method of doing so. Some suggestions are made, including using a surface integral and considering the function as a function of three variables rather than just one.
lepori
hi,

how can I calculate average of cos2x ?
I want to take average over a sphere

I tried to do like this: <cos2X>= 1/2π ∫cos2xdx
and I get 1/2

but in my books, wrote that average of cos2x , taken over a sphere, is 1/3

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What sphere are you trying to average it over?

1/2 is the average of cos2(x) on the interval [0,2pi], which is something that nobody would call a sphere.

in fact, my question is - how can I take average over sphere?..

What's x, is it something "specific"? Because if it happens to be, for example, the polar angle in spherical coordinates, then my guess is that you're supposed to calculate a surface integral over a sphere, [itex] A^{-1} \iint_A \cos^2(\theta) \mathrm{d}A[/itex], where A is the surface area of a sphere and dA is the area element. The radius will cancel out. This gives you the correct answer, but it could obviously be something else as well. But, like Office_Shredder said, just integrating over the interval [0,2π] won't do, you're certainly not taking the average over a sphere that way.

Last edited:
lepori said:
in fact, my question is - how can I take average over sphere?..
By integrating over the sphere and dividing by the surface of the sphere- it looks like what you did was integrate over a circle and divide by [itex]2\pi[/itex], the length of a circle.

To further confuse things, your function, cos(x) depends only on a single variable, x. Is that what you intended or did you mean to have a function of all three variables, x, y, and z- or in polar coordinates, [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]?

And do you mean the three dimensional ball or the surface of the sphere. The volume of a ball of radius R is [itex](4/3)\pi R^3[/itex] while the surface area is [itex]4\pi R^2[/itex].

we have a function:

G(t)=cos(x)^2+sin(x)^2*cos(wt)

X is angle between two vector, if the vectors direction is random, then averaging over all directions would be yield

G(t) = 1/3 +2/3*cos(wt)

///////////
I just do not understand, how to get it :)

lepori said:
hi,
how can I calculate average of cos2x ?
I want to take average over a sphere
I tried to do like this: <cos2X>= 1/2π ∫cos2xdx
and I get 1/2
but in my books, wrote that average of cos2x , taken over a sphere, is 1/3
maybe you can try this:

<cos2(x)>= 1/2 ∫cos2(x) sin(x) dx

and with appropriate limits...

===
and similar with sinus if necessary
====
edit;

I thought it was in the HW section

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the average of COS2X over a sphere?

The formula for calculating the average of COS2X over a sphere is (1/4π) ∫∫ cos(2x)sinθ dθ dφ, where x represents the latitude and φ represents the longitude.

2. How is the average of COS2X over a sphere related to the Earth's rotation?

The average of COS2X over a sphere is related to the Earth's rotation because it takes into account the variation in latitude and longitude, which are affected by the Earth's rotation. This calculation is commonly used in geodesy and geophysics to measure the Earth's shape and rotation.

3. What does the value of the average of COS2X over a sphere represent?

The value of the average of COS2X over a sphere represents the average cosine of the latitude and longitude coordinates on a sphere. It can also be interpreted as the average cosine of the Earth's curvature at different points.

4. How is the average of COS2X over a sphere used in climate science?

In climate science, the average of COS2X over a sphere is used to calculate the average incoming solar radiation on a global scale. This is important for understanding the Earth's energy balance and how it affects climate patterns.

5. Can the average of COS2X over a sphere be applied to other spherical objects?

Yes, the formula for calculating the average of COS2X over a sphere can be applied to other spherical objects, as long as the coordinates of the object can be represented in terms of latitude and longitude. This calculation is commonly used in various fields such as astronomy, geography, and physics.