Disadvantages of CO2 Scrubbers?

• Thread starter nst.john
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2
In summary, the person is asking for information on the disadvantages of current CO2 scrubbers and how they can be improved for a clean tech competition focused on removing greenhouse gases. The main disadvantages mentioned are cost and the issue of finding a place to store the collected CO2. The person encourages finding solutions for these problems.
nst.john
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but I figured chemical engineering would be best for this. I wanted to know what kind of disadvantages there are for today's CO2 scrubbers and how they can be improved. I am wondering this because I am doing a clean tech competition and would like to focus on removing greenhouse gases from the atmosphere. If you can tell me any disadvantages or any other technologies to look into for this topic please let me know!

Engineering news on Phys.org
nst.john said:
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but I figured chemical engineering would be best for this. I wanted to know what kind of disadvantages there are for today's CO2 scrubbers and how they can be improved. I am wondering this because I am doing a clean tech competition and would like to focus on removing greenhouse gases from the atmosphere. If you can tell me any disadvantages or any other technologies to look into for this topic please let me know!

I think there are two main disadvantages:

(1) It costs money and nobody wants to pay for it.
(2) Once you have collected the CO2, you have to put it somewhere. Where will you put it?

Thanks. It's good to try to solve these problems,not easy but maybe possible

1. What is a CO2 scrubber and how does it work?

A CO2 scrubber, also known as a carbon dioxide scrubber or carbon dioxide removal (CDR) system, is a technology that is used to remove carbon dioxide from the air. It works by passing air through a material that is able to absorb carbon dioxide, such as activated carbon or a liquid solvent. The CO2 is then separated from the air and can be stored or utilized for other purposes.

2. What are the disadvantages of using CO2 scrubbers?

There are several disadvantages of using CO2 scrubbers. Firstly, they can be expensive to install and maintain. Additionally, the materials used in the scrubbing process may need to be replenished or replaced, which can also add to the cost. Another disadvantage is that some CO2 scrubbers may require a large amount of energy to operate, which can contribute to greenhouse gas emissions.

3. Are there any potential health risks associated with CO2 scrubbers?

Yes, there are potential health risks associated with CO2 scrubbers. The materials used in the scrubbing process, such as activated carbon, can release harmful chemicals into the air if not properly handled or disposed of. In addition, some CO2 scrubbers may produce other byproducts that can be hazardous to human health if not properly managed.

4. Can CO2 scrubbers be used in all industries?

CO2 scrubbers can be used in a variety of industries, but they may not be suitable for all applications. For example, some industries may produce other pollutants or gases that can interfere with the effectiveness of CO2 scrubbers. Additionally, the size and capacity of the scrubber may need to be tailored to the specific industry and its emissions in order to be effective.

5. Are there any alternatives to using CO2 scrubbers for carbon dioxide removal?

Yes, there are alternatives to using CO2 scrubbers for carbon dioxide removal. These include natural methods such as reforestation, which involves planting trees to absorb carbon dioxide, and carbon capture and storage (CCS), which involves capturing and storing carbon emissions from industrial processes. However, these alternatives may also have their own drawbacks and limitations.