Children Learn by Monkey See, Monkey Do. Chimps Don't. [article]

In summary, the article discusses the author's experience with his daughter participating in a psychological study at Yale. The study aimed to observe how young children learn and its potential implications for human evolution. The author notes the complexity of learning and developmental stages in humans.
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I drove into New Haven on a recent morning with a burning question on my mind. How did my daughter do against the chimpanzees?

A month before, I had found a letter in the cubby of my daughter Charlotte at her preschool. It was from a graduate student at Yale asking for volunteers for a psychological study. The student, Derek Lyons, wanted to observe how 3- and 4-year-olds learn. I was curious, so I got in touch. Mr. Lyons explained how his study might shed light on human evolution.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/13/science/13essa.html

Zimmer (the article author) notes in his http://www.corante.com/loom/ .

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
awesome...

when it comes to learning and developmental stages, all things get really shaky, really quickly.

1. How do children learn by "monkey see, monkey do"?

Children learn by "monkey see, monkey do" through imitation. They observe the actions of those around them, especially their parents and caregivers, and mimic those actions in order to learn and understand the world around them.

2. What is the difference between children and chimps in terms of learning through imitation?

While both children and chimps are capable of learning through imitation, children tend to do so more frequently and with greater complexity. This is because humans have a larger prefrontal cortex, which allows for more advanced social learning and imitation.

3. Is imitation the only way children learn?

No, imitation is not the only way children learn. They also learn through direct instruction, exploration, and problem-solving. However, imitation plays a significant role in their development and understanding of social and cultural norms.

4. Can children learn bad behaviors through imitation?

Yes, children can learn negative behaviors through imitation, especially if they are consistently exposed to them. This is why it is important for parents and caregivers to model positive behaviors and provide guidance on appropriate actions and behaviors.

5. How can parents use "monkey see, monkey do" to their advantage in teaching their children?

Parents can use "monkey see, monkey do" by modeling positive behaviors and actions for their children to imitate. This includes things like manners, problem-solving strategies, and emotional regulation. Additionally, parents can also use imitation as a form of play and learning, such as through games or role-playing activities.

Back