Effects of plasma on friedman/fluid/acceleration equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of plasma effects on cosmology and the need for more research on the subject. It also suggests a paper on simulating the soft X-ray excess in clusters of galaxies and mentions the work of Eduardo Battaner and Estrella Florido on magnetic fields and structure formation.
dicerandom
Hi all,

I'm currently taking a course in introductory cosmology, last quarter I had an introductory course in plasma physics. Something that's been bothering me through the course of my cosmo class is the fact that plasma effects are entirely ignored even though it's acknowledged that, for instance, in the Coma cluster the ratio of intergalactic plasma mass to steller mass is on the order of 10.

I'm wondering what effects taking the mostly-plasma nature of matter into account would have on both large scale cosmology and medium-range effects such as interactions within clusters of galaxies. Could someone point me towards some good (but hopefully still accessable) papers on these subjects?

Space news on Phys.org
I think that there is some kind of agreement that magnetic fields produced by plasmas could had played an important role that is not fully understood in cosmological dynamics and structure formation. As far as I know there are actually not many quantitative results and simulations. If you are interested on magnetic fields and stucture formation search for the work of Eduardo Battaner and Estrella Florido of the University of Granada.

Last edited:

1. What is plasma and how does it affect Friedman/fluid/acceleration equations?

Plasma is a state of matter that consists of charged particles, such as ions and electrons. It can affect Friedman/fluid/acceleration equations by changing the behavior of the fluid through its interaction with electromagnetic fields.

2. How does plasma change the dynamics of fluid flow in Friedman/fluid/acceleration equations?

Plasma can introduce additional forces, such as pressure gradients, electric fields, and magnetic fields, which can alter the motion of fluids and modify the equations that govern their behavior.

3. What are the applications of studying the effects of plasma on Friedman/fluid/acceleration equations?

Understanding the role of plasma in fluid dynamics is crucial for various fields such as astrophysics, fusion research, and plasma propulsion. It can also help improve our understanding of natural phenomena, such as solar wind and planetary atmospheres.

4. How do researchers incorporate plasma into Friedman/fluid/acceleration equations?

Researchers use various methods, such as fluid models and kinetic models, to account for the effects of plasma in Friedman/fluid/acceleration equations. These models consider the behavior of charged particles and their interactions with the fluid to accurately describe the dynamics of the system.

5. What are the challenges in studying the effects of plasma on Friedman/fluid/acceleration equations?

One of the main challenges is the complex nature of plasma, which requires sophisticated models and simulations to accurately describe its behavior. Another challenge is the lack of experimental data, as plasma is often difficult to observe and measure accurately. Additionally, the interplay between plasma and fluid dynamics is still not fully understood and requires further research.