Law of Conservation of Mass: Big Bombs & Earth

• Thread starter MRCHEM
  • Start date
In summary, the law of conservation of mass states that when matter undergoes changes, atoms are rearranged but not created or destroyed. Even a big bomb that can blow up Earth and make it disappear cannot destroy atoms, as they can only change form. This concept also applies to anti-matter, as it is not lacking matter but has a property that causes it to turn into energy. Therefore, the conservation of mass and energy are both important principles in understanding the changes that matter can undergo.
MRCHEM
it is said in our book that when matter undergoes changes whether physicaly or chemically, the atoms are merely rearranged. no atom is created nor destroyed. (the law of conservation of mass)

but what if i have a big bomb that can blow up Earth and then vanish completely how can be atoms be rearranged if they are destroyed

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Show me a bomb that can destroy matter...:uhh: That's the thing right there, matter cannot be destroyed, it can only change form or be rearranged.

MRCHEM said:
but what if i have a big bomb that can blow up Earth and then vanish completely
Well, you don't! Bombs do not destroy atoms - they only disperse them.

Gokul43201 said:

oo bombs dont? interesting. disperse means separate? sory for the english :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:

Exactly. =)

how about he has a booms that when it exploded it will make the matter become anti-matter and it means that the atoms will be vanished because we talk about conservation law only applies for matter. can you answer me that antimatter will follow the conservation law too? i am crazy to put that question on, but please have athought of it! :)

WARGREYMONKKTL said:
how about he has a booms that when it exploded it will make the matter become anti-matter and it means that the atoms will be vanished because we talk about conservation law only applies for matter. can you answer me that antimatter will follow the conservation law too? i am crazy to put that question on, but please have athought of it! :)
Again, do you know of such a bomb? Conservation of mass holds for anti-matter particles also.

Just don't forget that mass can be transformed to energy. It is not just conservation of mass, it is conservation of mass AND energy.

Borek said:
Just don't forget that mass can be transformed to energy. It is not just conservation of mass, it is conservation of mass AND energy.
Good catch.

MRCHEM said:
it is said in our book that when matter undergoes changes whether physicaly or chemically, the atoms are merely rearranged. no atom is created nor destroyed. (the law of conservation of mass)

but what if i have a big bomb that can blow up Earth and then vanish completely how can be atoms be rearranged if they are destroyed

Okay let's pretend your bomb can blow up earth, and you are safe some where other than Earth when the bomb explodes. And Earth is shattered into bits and pieces. Your bomb is no match for Earth's gravity. Earth would just form back together. Of course it would be dramaticly altered, but indeed still there.

WARGREYMONKKTL said:

Just because it is anti-matter doesn't mean it's anti mass.

It doesn't mean it negative mass, simply negative matter :P

Kind of like an electron has a charge of -1, it isn't LACKING a charge, it simply has an opposite charge of +1.

So anti-matter isn't lacking matter, it's just got a property that causes it to burst into energy at the acquantance of matter.

And that energy will be equal to E=mc^2 (plus the momentum stuff I don't want to write out).

Thus, the conservation of energy :D

A year and a half old thread that isn't any less pointless today than then. Locked.

1. What is the Law of Conservation of Mass?

The Law of Conservation of Mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only changed from one form to another. This means that the total mass of a closed system will remain constant over time, regardless of any physical or chemical changes that may occur within the system.

2. How does the Law of Conservation of Mass apply to big bombs and explosions?

When a bomb explodes, the chemical reactions that occur release a large amount of energy in the form of heat, light, and sound. However, the total mass of the bomb and its surroundings remains unchanged before and after the explosion. This is because the materials that make up the bomb and the gases and particles produced during the explosion are all accounted for in the total mass before and after the reaction.

3. Can the Law of Conservation of Mass be violated?

No, the Law of Conservation of Mass is a fundamental principle of physics and cannot be violated. It has been rigorously tested and has always been found to hold true. This law applies to all physical and chemical reactions, including those that occur in the presence of extreme conditions such as explosions.

4. How does the Law of Conservation of Mass relate to the Earth?

The Earth is a closed system, meaning that no matter can enter or leave. This means that the total mass of the Earth remains constant over time. The Law of Conservation of Mass ensures that the materials that make up the Earth, such as rocks, water, and air, are continuously recycled and redistributed in various forms, but their total mass remains the same.

5. What other laws are related to the Law of Conservation of Mass?

The Law of Conservation of Mass is closely related to the Law of Conservation of Energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. Together, these two laws form the basis of the principle of conservation of mass-energy, which is a fundamental concept in physics and is essential for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.