Preparing H2SO4: Burning Match Heads?

• Thread starter thunderfvck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Preparation
In summary, the conversation discusses the preparation of sulphuric acid and explores potential methods for creating it at home. The individual suggests using match heads to produce sulphur dioxide, which can then be converted into sulphuric acid through various processes. However, it is noted that this method may not yield pure sulphuric acid and it may be more practical to purchase it commercially. Alternative methods, such as electrolysis of a sulphate solution or using sodium bisulphate, are also mentioned. Ultimately, it is recommended to simply buy sulphuric acid for safety and efficiency reasons.
thunderfvck
Hi.
Okay, I would like to make some sulphuric acid. I know that I can probably find it OTC (and mixed with other potential CRAP), but it's more fun experimenting. I was reading a site which was discussing the preparation of sulphuric acid and it got me excited.
So, as far as I know, sulfur is in match head tips. And a bunch of other garbage including phosphorous. SO, can I simply burn a bunch of match heads and pass it through water to form sulphurous acid:

SO2 + H2O --> H2SO3

Then, according to this website, heat can be applied (150C) to the solution while being refluxed and...

3H2SO3 ---> 2H2SO4 + H2O + S

Which would yield me some pure sulfur in addition to some sulphuric acid, which would be very exciting. So, what do you think? Would it work? Well I guess it WOULD work provided I produce SO2 in my match head burnings. But there has got to be a lot of other stuff in that smoke, but I don't know. If I wanted pure sulphuric acid I could always collect enough of the sulfur that is formed in the reaction and just burn that.
Sooo...?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How are you going to collect the SO2 if it's a gas?

Hmmm. Good question.
Okay, I guess I can do it a number of ways. A very unscientific way would be lighting the matches underneath a plastic ziplock bag so that all the smoke goes into the bag. THen I put the bag underwater and put a hole in it. I think that would work pretty nicely. If I saturate the bag with smoke then I'd be rocking. I can also just make the hole prior putting it under and then just submerge the bag (just so the hole has gone under) and squeeze at a nice rate. The smoke could be too hot though, and it would cause my bag to melt, but in that case I could always use plastic or something (a bottle).

I guess I could also fill a bottle with smoke, with a tube coming out the top going inside the water, and then invert the bottle into the water. THe water would force the smoke out the hole and into the tube which then goes to the water.

Not bad? Better ideas?

Last edited:
No, this won't work. For starters you won't be making pure anything, as the match heads, if they contain sulphur at all, will have it as a minor constituent. Not to mention there is a difference between the composition of safety matches and strike-anywhere matches. Any sulphuric acid made from this route would be so impure as to be completey useless as a reagent in even the most low-tech chemistry lab.

If you insist on trying to synthesise this chemical, a better route would be to attempt electrolysis of a sulphate solution. this would have a better chance of yielding a product that could have some use in a home laboratory, and would certainly be a lot safer as a process.

...or to simply buy a Clear-Line drain cleaner product that's 98% H2SO4...

I need for simple method for H2so4 preparation

Consider dissolving SO2 formed by burning sulfur into a hydrogen peroxide solution.. this will oxidize the H2SO3 into H2SO4.. but really just buy it if you can...

Also consider just buying NaHSO4... it works great for a lot of things check this out: http://indiescience.org/chemtalk/index.php?topic=31.0

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you prepare H2SO4 using burning match heads?

To prepare H2SO4 using burning match heads, you will need to first collect a large amount of match heads. Then, place them in a heat-resistant container and ignite them using a source of heat, such as a Bunsen burner. The match heads will produce sulfur dioxide gas, which will react with oxygen in the air to form sulfur trioxide. The sulfur trioxide can then be dissolved in water to form sulfuric acid (H2SO4).

2. What is the chemical equation for the preparation of H2SO4 using burning match heads?

The chemical equation for the preparation of H2SO4 using burning match heads is: 2S + 3O2 → 2SO3, followed by SO3 + H2O → H2SO4.

3. Can any type of match heads be used for this experiment?

No, not all types of match heads will work for this experiment. Only matches that contain sulfur will produce the necessary sulfur dioxide gas for the reaction to occur. Avoid using safety matches, as they do not contain sulfur and will not work for this experiment.

4. Is it safe to prepare H2SO4 using burning match heads?

This experiment should be conducted with caution and under the supervision of a trained professional. The burning match heads can produce sulfur dioxide gas, which can be harmful if inhaled. It is important to conduct the experiment in a well-ventilated area and to use proper protective equipment, such as goggles and gloves.

5. What is the purpose of preparing H2SO4 using burning match heads?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate a simple and accessible method for producing sulfuric acid, one of the most widely used chemicals in the world. It also allows for a better understanding of the chemical reactions involved in the production of sulfuric acid and the properties of the resulting substance.