Linear momentum as a vector - help

In summary, if there is no velocity in the y direction, or if v1y = -v2y, then the sum is obviously zero, and there is not net momentum in that direction.
allok
hi

I'm really stuck and I hope you can help me.

I know that linear momentum is a vector, but I'm still not sure how to add them together when :

p1, p2, p ... linear momentum

If two objects A1 ( p1 = 100) and A2 ( p2 = -100) represent an isolated system and are moving along ( parallel to ) x-axis ( A1 in positive and A2 in negative direction ), then total linear momentum p is zero. But what if A1 is still moving along the x axis, but this time function of object A1 is y(x) = 3, while before it was y(x) = 0. Then even though linear momentum vectors p1 and p2 are still parallel, they no longer lie on the same line. Can we still add vectors p1 and p2 as if they were lying on the same line? If yes, why? If not, why not?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, remember that vectors can be "moved" (the mathematician in me cringes at that) and the total momentum of the system can be calculated as the sum of the two objects even if they are not at the same point (strictly speaking two distinct objects can never be at the same spot!).

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, remember that vectors can be "moved"

I know vectors can be 'moved', but why is this allowed with momentum vectors? Clearly, a system containing two objects with their veclocity vectors lying on same line differs ( somehow ) from system with velocity vectors parallel, but not lying on the same line. Why would we choose to neglect the fact that vectors ain't lying on the same line?

Why would we choose to neglect the fact that vectors ain't lying on the same line?
We are not neglecting that fact.

Momentum is proportional to velocity, which is a vector.

Let [itex]\vec{v_1}\,=\,v_{1x}\hat{x}\,+\,\,v_{1y}\hat{y} [/itex],

and [itex]\vec{v_2}\,=\,v_{2x}\hat{x}\,+\,\,v_{2y}\hat{y} [/itex]

the

[itex]\vec{v_1}\,+\,\vec{v_2}\,=\,(v_{1x}\,+\,v_{2x})\hat{x}\,+\,(v_{1y}\,+\,v_{2y})\hat{y}[/itex].

If there is no velocity in the y direction, or if v1y = -v2y, then the sum is obviously zero, and there is not net momentum in that direction. Adding these vectors does not involve the positions of the objects with those velocities.

Now there is a property called angular momentum, which does involve the position or location of objects. Colinear particles with the same magnitude but opposite direction would have zero net linear momentum and zero net angular momentum, but non-colinear forces while having no net linear momentum would have a net angular momentum for the same velocity conditions.

Last edited:

1. What is linear momentum as a vector?

Linear momentum is a physical quantity that describes the amount of motion of an object in a particular direction. As a vector, it has both magnitude (speed) and direction, making it a useful tool for understanding and predicting the motion of objects.

2. How is linear momentum calculated?

Linear momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The equation for linear momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This calculation takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

3. What is the difference between linear momentum and velocity?

Velocity and linear momentum are closely related, but they are not the same thing. Velocity is a vector that describes an object's speed and direction of motion at a specific point in time. On the other hand, linear momentum is a vector that describes an object's overall motion, taking into account its mass and velocity.

4. How does linear momentum affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's laws of motion, an object will continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion, so it can help us understand how an object will behave in the absence of outside forces. In short, an object with a greater linear momentum will be harder to stop or change its direction of motion.

5. Can linear momentum be conserved?

Yes, linear momentum is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant in a closed system (where there are no external forces acting on the system). This principle is known as the law of conservation of linear momentum and is a fundamental concept in physics that helps us understand the behavior of objects in motion.