Component of Fibonacci Sequence

In summary, the conversation is about understanding a step in a proof where they want to show Fk+1 ≤ (7/4)^(k+1). The step involves using the induction hypothesis and applying the principle that if a<b and c>0, then ac<bc. The person is confused about how this step makes sense and asks for clarification.
leospyder
Please excuse my total ignorance but can someon explain to me how the following part of a certain proof makes sense

We want to show that Fk+1 ≤ (7/4)^(k+1). Consider fk+1 = fk + fk−1 (We can do this
as k +1 is at least 2; see the comment following the basis) < (7/4)^k +(7 /4)^(k−1) (by the Induction Hypothesis;
notice how the stronger hypothesis comes in handy here.)

The parts I bolded in red are mainly the things I don't understand. I plugged in the (7/4)...part into my calculator and did not get the alleged answer I was supposed to get if it were simply (7/4)^k+1. Can someone please enlighten me? :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
If a<b, and c>0, then ac<bc (and no that is not cryptic - you end up with something that you wish to show is less than something else - there is no reason to suppose they are equal, nor is it necessary. If I want to show something is less than 4 and I show it is less than 3 I've shown it is less than 4, for example).

The Fibonacci sequence is a famous sequence of numbers where each number is the sum of the two previous numbers, starting with 0 and 1. So the sequence goes like this: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, ...

The proof is trying to show that a certain property holds for all numbers in the Fibonacci sequence. In this case, the property is that Fk+1 (the k+1th number in the sequence) is less than or equal to (7/4)^(k+1). In other words, the numbers in the Fibonacci sequence are growing at a rate that is less than or equal to (7/4)^(k+1).

To prove this, the proof starts by considering the formula for the k+1th number in the Fibonacci sequence: fk+1 = fk + fk−1. This is because the k+1th number is just the sum of the previous two numbers.

Next, the proof uses the Induction Hypothesis, which is a technique commonly used in mathematical proofs. The Induction Hypothesis states that if a property holds for a certain number (in this case, k), then it also holds for the next number (k+1). So, since the property holds for k, it also holds for fk and fk-1. Therefore, we can write fk+1 as (7/4)^k +(7 /4)^(k−1), using the Induction Hypothesis.

Finally, the proof uses the fact that the Induction Hypothesis is a stronger hypothesis. In this case, it means that the property holds not only for k, but also for all numbers before k. This allows us to rewrite fk+1 as (7/4)^k +(7 /4)^(k−1), which is a stronger statement than just (7/4)^k+1.

You may have plugged in (7/4)^k+1 into your calculator and not gotten the alleged answer because the proof is not claiming that fk+1 is equal to (7/4)^k+1. It is claiming that fk+1 is less than or equal to (7/4)^k+1. In other words, the proof is showing that the growth rate of the Fibonacci sequence is less than or equal to the growth rate of (7

1. What is the Fibonacci Sequence?

The Fibonacci Sequence is a mathematical pattern that starts with 0 and 1, and each subsequent number is the sum of the two previous numbers. So the sequence goes 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, and so on.

2. What is a component of the Fibonacci Sequence?

A component of the Fibonacci Sequence is any number in the sequence, such as 0, 1, 2, 3, 5, etc. These numbers make up the sequence and follow the pattern of each number being the sum of the two previous numbers.

3. How is the Fibonacci Sequence used in science?

The Fibonacci Sequence has many applications in science, including in biology, physics, and computer science. It can be used to model the growth of populations, the arrangement of leaves on a stem, and the structure of galaxies. It is also used in algorithms for searching and sorting data.

4. What is the significance of the Fibonacci Sequence?

The Fibonacci Sequence is significant because it appears frequently in nature and can be used to describe many natural phenomena. It also has many interesting mathematical properties and has been studied by mathematicians for centuries.

5. Can the Fibonacci Sequence go on infinitely?

Technically, the Fibonacci Sequence can go on infinitely as it follows a pattern that can continue forever. However, in practical applications, the sequence is limited by the capabilities of computers and the limits of the physical world. But theoretically, the sequence can go on infinitely.