Electrical Engineering - choosing a focus

In summary: Signal Processing is heavily military in the US. There is some in commercial such as cell phones and some in image processing, but the bulk of the jobs are military. It is fun though...
FrogPad
I am a junior in electrical engineering, and I'm at the point where I need to start choosing my technical electives (my focus courses). I took my first Electrodynamics course this semester. I friggen' loved the material. I thought it was VERY interesting although quite hard. I'm thinking about choosing this as my focus, and am curious to know what type of jobs would be applicable in this field. What type of job market would there be? I would like to know how these answers if I do grad school and if I don't do grad school.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrodynamics is a fundation in many domains such as astronomy,plasma,radio engineering.If you want to a find job in market,optic and mobile phone may suit.But the special relativity in the back of the book may lost it usage.
I love it too,but when you study further ,you will find it really need much more maths you cann't afford.So I advise you to insure your mathematical ability at first.

Last edited:
Mostly military in the US.

My dad chose RF engineering, and as of now, he tells me it's a really saturated job market that's decreasing in size every day.

Any thoughts on signal processing?

Signal processing is a pretty awesome field that can be applied to almost anything. Taking a few DSP courses would be very beneficial for any EE.

Signal processing is probably the most widely applicable sort of electrical engineering. Everything requires signal processing. I personally am an IC designer (in the signal processing group, no less) at a major semiconductor manufacturer. I'm happy as a clam.

- Warren

I want to be happy as a clam ;)

Well I'll have my first signal processing class next semester. Hopefully I'll enjoy it. I have a great professor for the course, so that is good... although I hear the book is utter rubbish.

Im an ME, and I want to do Aerospace Signals, it's great stuff.

Signals will make you master Matlab, Math, and Physics all at the same time. It's very cross-disciplined, which is why it's so damn attractive to me.

Last edited:
Signal Processing is also heavily military in the US. There is some in commercial such as cell phones and some in image processing, but the bulk of the jobs are military. It is fun though...

Don't double post.

interested_learner said:
Signal Processing is also heavily military in the US. There is some in commercial such as cell phones and some in image processing, but the bulk of the jobs are military. It is fun though...

I don't agree at all.

- Warren

interested_learner said:

Not really, man. Every EE company needs signal processing guys. Every company. It's just so versatile.

interested_learner said:

Qualcomm. Trimble. Creative. I would not be surprised if such companies hired twice as many signal processing people as the defense industry.

in my university we study 3 years as electrical engineers then we specifc for 2 years in communication or power ... i will choose communication and i want to study signal processing in michigan university this year if hopefully i will go to usa ... so can anyone tell me from where i begin to make a good base for the major i want ... i have a bad guidance in my university ...

Magnetic Field Shaping, definitely.

1. What are the different specializations in Electrical Engineering?

Some common specializations in Electrical Engineering include Power Systems, Control Systems, Electronics, Communications, and Computer Engineering.

2. Which specialization has the highest demand in the job market?

The demand for each specialization can vary depending on the industry and location. However, currently, the demand for Computer Engineering and Electronics Engineering is high due to advancements in technology and the growth of industries such as telecommunications, robotics, and artificial intelligence.

3. How do I choose a focus in Electrical Engineering?

It is important to consider your interests and strengths when choosing a focus in Electrical Engineering. Research the different specializations and their job prospects, and also talk to professionals in the field to gain insights and advice. You can also take courses in different areas to see which one you enjoy the most.

4. Can I switch my focus in Electrical Engineering later on?

Yes, it is possible to switch your focus in Electrical Engineering. However, it may require taking additional courses and extending your time in school. It is important to carefully consider your options and make the switch early on if needed, to avoid any delays in your academic and career goals.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge required for each specialization?

Each specialization in Electrical Engineering requires a different set of skills and knowledge. For example, Power Systems engineers need to have a strong understanding of power distribution and transmission, while Electronics engineers need to have a good grasp of circuit design and semiconductor devices. It is important to thoroughly research the requirements for your chosen specialization and work on developing those skills during your education and through hands-on experience.