Magnetic forces and many poles

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of bending a magnet into a shape with 2 edges on the north pole and 2 edges on the south pole, similar to half a tunnel. The person questions if the positive edges would repel each other and what forces would act against this repulsion force. They also wonder if this force can be used to do work or create energy. The other person explains that the shape is not clear, but regardless, the amount of work you can get out of the magnet cannot exceed the amount of work put into bending it into that shape. The conversation ends with the person agreeing to try and find a name or picture for the shape and thanking the other person for their input.
mustafallica
i had this idea of a magnet, if u bend the magnet, so that it has 2 edges on the north pole and 2 edges on the south pole, just like half a tunnel, i don't know the name of the shape, but suppose it has 2 edges on the north pole, won't the 2 edges repel each other because they are positive, what forces act against the repelsion force, can we use that force to do work or energy.
thanks

btw when i meant 2 edges its just like a U Magnet but in a shape of cylinder-half a tunnel-

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It takes x amount of energy to push the magnets together and you get x when the fly apart. Actually, you get less than x because of friction. Sorry, conservation of energy.

i didnt quiet get you!m its just one magnet

I don't understand the shape you are describing, but in any case, you can't get more work out than the work you put into bend the magnet into that shape.

oh, yeh i think i get the idea, anyways i'll try to get the name of the shape or picture it for u, thanks anyways

1. What is a magnetic force?

A magnetic force is an attractive or repulsive force between two objects that have a magnetic field. It is caused by the interaction of moving electric charges.

2. How many poles does a magnet have?

A magnet has two poles, a north pole and a south pole. These poles are where the magnetic force is strongest.

3. What is the difference between a north and a south pole?

The north pole of a magnet points towards the Earth's geographic north pole, while the south pole points towards the Earth's geographic south pole. Opposite poles of magnets attract each other, while like poles repel each other.

4. Can a magnet have more than two poles?

No, a magnet can only have two poles, a north pole and a south pole. However, some materials can exhibit multiple poles due to their atomic structure, but these are not considered true magnets.

5. How do magnetic forces affect everyday objects?

Magnetic forces can affect everyday objects in a variety of ways. They can cause objects to stick together, such as with refrigerator magnets, or they can be used to move and manipulate objects, such as in MRI machines or electric motors.