Help Need description of formation of heavy elements

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Peter is looking for help in creating explanatory graphics on nuclear fusion and the formation of elements. He is specifically interested in how elements heavier than iron are formed and how this process can be explained in simple terms for an astronomy exhibition. Through the process of nucleosynthesis, heavy elements are formed in supernova explosions through the r-process and s-process. Scientists can also artificially create heavy elements through nuclear transmutation. Helpful diagrams can be found on the ESA website.
peterw
Hi,

Hope someone here can help. I'm working on explanatory graphics on how nuclear fusion works, and how the elements are formed. In particular, I need to show how elements heavier than iron are formed. The obvious process is as part of a supernova explosion, but for the life of me I can't find any diagrams showing what exactly happens.

What I think I know so far: once you get to iron or heavier you need to pump energy into the reaction to get results. It seems nuclear fusion is replaced by the R and/or S processes, where the huge amount of neutrons released in a supernova explosion slam into the Fe, building it up to heavier elements. Some of these heavier elements are stable, others aren't and decay to stable elements.

OK that's probably a very simplistic explanation, but this needs to be made as easy to understand as possible for our visitors (astronomy exhibition).

So, two questions:

1. Can someone help describe (or even better point me to a diagram) what happens specifically? Even something as simple as Fe + loadsa neutrons = a heavier element?

2. For my own further interest, is this how it would also work for us down here doing it artificially? Do we slam heavier elements into each other and get something new, or do we copy this R/S process and use neutrons instead? And if we do, could someone give me an example reaction?

Thanks for reading this far, any help much appreciated!

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Peter,

Thank you for reaching out for help on this topic. Nuclear fusion is a complex process and explaining it in simple terms can be a challenge. I will try my best to provide a clear explanation and point you to some helpful diagrams.

To start, nuclear fusion is the process of combining two or more atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a tremendous amount of energy, which is what powers the sun and stars. The most common type of nuclear fusion is the combination of hydrogen nuclei to form helium, which is what happens in the core of the sun.

However, as you mentioned, elements heavier than iron are not formed through the usual fusion process. Instead, they are formed through a process called nucleosynthesis, which occurs in supernova explosions. During a supernova, the intense heat and pressure causes the nuclei of iron and other elements to capture neutrons, creating heavier elements.

To better understand this process, it may be helpful to look at a diagram of the r-process (rapid neutron capture) and s-process (slow neutron capture). These are the two main processes responsible for the formation of heavy elements in supernovae. You can find a helpful diagram on the website of the European Space Agency (ESA) at this link: https://sci.esa.int/web/lisa-pathfinder/-/59041-nucleosynthesis-in-supernovae.

In terms of your second question, yes, scientists can also artificially create heavy elements through a process called nuclear transmutation. This involves bombarding a target element with high-energy particles, such as neutrons, to induce nuclear reactions and create new, heavier elements. An example of this is the creation of element 118, oganesson, which was achieved through the bombardment of curium with calcium ions.

I hope this information helps you in creating your explanatory graphics. Best of luck with your exhibition! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Hi Peter,

The formation of heavy elements can be quite complex, but I'll try to provide a simplified explanation for you. As you mentioned, the process of creating elements heavier than iron usually occurs in supernova explosions. This is because the extreme conditions in a supernova, such as high temperatures and pressures, allow for nuclear fusion reactions to occur.

In the core of a massive star, hydrogen is fused together to form helium, and helium can then fuse to form heavier elements like carbon, oxygen, and eventually iron. However, once iron is reached, fusion reactions can no longer produce energy and actually require energy input. This means that the core of the star cannot support itself and collapses, resulting in a supernova explosion.

During this explosion, the extreme conditions allow for the process of neutron capture to occur. This is where free neutrons are captured by nuclei, creating heavier elements. This is known as the r-process (rapid neutron capture) and it is responsible for creating elements heavier than iron, such as gold, silver, and uranium.

The s-process (slow neutron capture) is another process that can occur in the outer layers of a star, where free neutrons are captured more slowly and produce stable, heavier elements like lead and bismuth.

As for your second question, scientists do indeed use the r-process to create heavy elements artificially. This is done in nuclear reactors, where neutrons are fired at stable nuclei to create heavier elements. For example, uranium-238 can absorb a neutron and become uranium-239, which then decays to plutonium-239, a highly radioactive and unstable element.

I hope this helps to clarify the formation of heavy elements for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your exhibition!

1. What is the process of formation of heavy elements?

The formation of heavy elements is a complex process that involves nuclear reactions and stellar evolution. Heavy elements, which are defined as elements with atomic numbers greater than 92, are formed through nuclear fusion reactions in the cores of stars. This process starts with the fusion of lighter elements, such as hydrogen and helium, and continues as the star's core temperature and pressure increase. Once the star runs out of fuel, it undergoes a supernova explosion, releasing heavy elements into the universe.

2. How long does it take for heavy elements to form?

The exact time it takes for heavy elements to form varies depending on the size and type of star. Generally, it takes millions to billions of years for heavy elements to form in a star's core. However, the most massive and short-lived stars can produce heavy elements in a matter of days or even hours before exploding as a supernova.

3. Which heavy elements are most commonly formed in stars?

The most common heavy elements formed in stars are carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen, which are essential building blocks for life. These elements are produced through the fusion of hydrogen and helium in the cores of stars. Other elements, such as iron, silicon, and magnesium, are also formed in stars but in smaller quantities.

4. Are there other ways besides stellar fusion to form heavy elements?

Yes, there are other ways to form heavy elements besides stellar fusion. One method is through the process of neutron capture, where free neutrons are absorbed by lighter elements, gradually increasing their atomic number. This process occurs in supernova explosions and can produce elements heavier than iron. Another method is through the collision of two neutron stars, which can also produce heavy elements through rapid neutron capture.

5. How do we know that heavy elements are formed in stars?

We know that heavy elements are formed in stars through observations and experiments. Scientists have observed the composition of stars and found that they contain varying amounts of heavy elements. Additionally, experiments have been conducted in laboratories to replicate the high temperatures and pressures found in stars, which have successfully produced heavy elements. Furthermore, the abundance of heavy elements in the universe also supports the idea that they are formed in stars.