Dark Matter: Info and Math Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of dark matter and the search for relevant mathematical equations related to it. The suggested equations include the derivation of the rotation curve for galaxies and the graphical representation of these curves for Baryons and Baryons + Dark Matter. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use math similar to Kepler's laws to calculate the amount of dark matter that can exist in our solar system without disrupting planetary orbits.
apope
I'm doing a project on dark matter and I've found some good information but I still haven't found any related mathematical equations.. are there any not to complicated ones i can relate to it??

Space news on Phys.org
What sort of equations are you looking for? Dark matter is subject to gravity, but nothing else is really known about it.

The most relevant equations would be the derivation of the rotation curve for a galaxy of a given density profile, but the graphical representation of these curves for Baryons only and Baryons + Dark Matter might be a more accessible and equally informative for you. There is a graph and some info on the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_curves" [Broken] site, but I'm sure a quick Google search would pull up a fair bit of info as well, once you read this and know what you are looking for.

Good luck with your project :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Using math not terribly more complex than Keplers laws you can calculate how much uniformly distributed, unseen [dark] matter can exist within the confines of our solar system without messing up planetary orbits [Hints: [1] virial theorem; [2] its less than the mass of Jupiter].

1) What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not interact with light, which is why it cannot be seen or detected directly. Its presence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2) How is dark matter different from regular matter?

Dark matter is different from regular matter in that it does not interact with electromagnetic radiation, such as light. It also does not have the same properties as regular matter, such as mass and charge. Dark matter is also thought to be more abundant in the universe compared to regular matter.

3) What evidence do we have for the existence of dark matter?

There are several lines of evidence that support the existence of dark matter. These include gravitational lensing, the rotation curves of galaxies, and the cosmic microwave background radiation. All of these phenomena can be explained by the presence of dark matter.

4) How is dark matter measured and studied?

Dark matter cannot be directly measured or studied because it does not interact with light. However, scientists use a variety of indirect methods to study dark matter, such as observing its gravitational effects, mapping its distribution in the universe, and searching for potential particles that could make up dark matter.

5) What is the role of math equations in understanding dark matter?

Math equations are crucial in understanding dark matter because they help us model and predict its behavior. One of the most important equations used in dark matter research is the Friedmann equation, which describes the expansion of the universe and the role of dark matter in this process. Other equations, such as those related to gravitational lensing and particle interactions, also play a significant role in understanding dark matter.