Simple but complete mathematical methods book?

In summary, there are several options for a mathematical methods book geared towards undergrad physics students. Boas is a good choice, but may not cover all aspects of the "average curriculum". Arfken is better suited for advanced undergrad or graduate students. Another option is Riley, Hobson, Bence, which covers a wide range of topics and is comprehensive for a 4-year degree. However, it may not have as much depth as other books. A combination of Boas and Arfken may provide a complete coverage of topics, including group theory, representation theory, and Hilbert spaces. Riley, Hobson, Bence does touch on Hilbert spaces, but may not go into as much detail as Arfken. Ultimately,
pivoxa15
Can anyone recommand a simple but complete mathematical methods book written especially for undergrad physics students?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Arfkin isn't too bad at the advanced UG/Grad level.

Last edited by a moderator:
pivoxa15 said:
Complete as in complete for undergrads.
I knew that. But undergrads in different schools around the world may be exposed to a little more or a little less of the "average curriculum". By now you may know that Boas does not cover group theory, for example.

Another book that I have heard about, but never read, is by Morse and Feshbach.

So a complete one would include group theory. I like to be on the safe side. However the depth of the maths shouldn't be too deep. So wide scope but not deep.

Take a look at Riley, Hobson, Bence - Mathematical Methods

I'd say this has pretty much everything you'll cover in a 4 year degree.
Boas would also suit, but i'd say it's a bit more cookbookish than the likes of R, H, B... Arfken is smashin' but better used in conjunction with a more elaborate book.. well i find that at the early years of my undergrad degree

I've had a look at Boas and was impressed. Its nice layout and font complements it even more. However for higher stuff like hilbert spaces, one will need Arfken. Does R,H,B have stuff on hilbert spaces? I think not. Maybe a combintation of Boas and Arfken would form a complete mathematical book I am after. Although it does have Representation theory and group theory.

pivoxa15 said:
Does R,H,B have stuff on hilbert spaces?
Chapter 17, "Eigenfunction methods for differential equations," covers the aspects of Hilbert spaces that are relevant to undergrad physics. I personally haven't used Riley, Hobson & Bence all that much, but I think that is because American universities tend to favor textbooks written by American authors.

What topics are covered in a simple but complete mathematical methods book?

A simple but complete mathematical methods book typically covers basic concepts such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It may also include more advanced topics such as linear algebra, differential equations, and discrete mathematics.

What level of mathematical knowledge is required for a simple but complete mathematical methods book?

A simple but complete mathematical methods book is typically designed for students who have a basic understanding of mathematics, including algebra and geometry. However, some advanced topics may require a higher level of mathematical knowledge.

Can a simple but complete mathematical methods book be used for self-study?

Yes, a simple but complete mathematical methods book can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to have some prior understanding of basic mathematical concepts before attempting to learn from the book.

Are there any practical applications included in a simple but complete mathematical methods book?

Yes, a simple but complete mathematical methods book may include practical applications of mathematical concepts, such as real-world problems and examples. This can help students understand the relevance and importance of mathematical methods in various fields.

Is a simple but complete mathematical methods book suitable for all ages?

A simple but complete mathematical methods book is typically designed for students in high school or college. However, individuals of any age who are interested in learning or refreshing their knowledge of mathematical methods can benefit from using the book.