What is the magnetic dipole moment of the sphere?

When I did the second integration, I got -2\pi \omega R^4 \sin^2\theta \cos\theta \hat k. When I then did the third integration over \theta, I got the desired result. Therefore, I think the correct answer is -2\pi \frac{\rho\omega R^4}{2} \int_{0}^{\pi}\sin^2\theta\cos\theta \sin\theta d\theta \hat k, which gives the desired answer.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

A uniformly charged solid sphere of radius R carries a total charge Q, and is set spinning with angular velocity [itex] \omega [/itex] about the z axis. (a) What is the magnetic dipole moment of the sphere?

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec{m} = I \int d\vec{a} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

having a lot of difficulty with this stuff

since we are talking about a solid sphere ... first find volume current density [itex] J = \rho v[/itex]
[tex] \rho = \frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3} [/tex]
[tex] v = \omega \times r = \omega r sin\theta [/tex]

so [tex] J = \frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3} \omega r sin\theta [/tex]
is this ok so far??

alright now to find the total current [itex] I = \int J \cdot da [/itex]

[tex] I = \int \frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3} \omega R^3 \sin^2\theta d\theta d\phi [/tex]

this doesn't seem dimensionally correct since the radians do not cancel out ...

where have i gone wrong? Is it the part of the angular momentum??

thansk for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

There are different current for different point on the spining solid sphere.
The magnitude of current density [tex]J[/tex] you have is correct.
But the total magnetic moment should be
[tex]\vec{m}=\int d\vec{m}[/tex]
,where [tex]d\vec{m}[/tex] is a thin ring with radius [tex]r\sin\theta[/tex] rotating along z-axis.
The cross section area of the thin ring is [tex]dr\cdot rd\theta[/tex].
The effective current due to the thin ring is [tex]J(dr\cdot rd\theta)[/tex].
Therefore, [tex]d\vec{m}=\hat{z}J(dr\cdot rd\theta)\pi(r\sin\theta)^2[/tex].
You can substitute the magnetic moment element into the first integral above and find the aim.

Good luck

Use (in Gaussian units)
[tex]{\vec m}=\frac{1}{2c}\int{\vec r}\times{\vec j}d^3r[/tex]

ok so since [tex] \vec{m} = \frac{1}{2} \int \vec{r} \times \vec{J} d\tau [/tex]
in SI units
[tex] J = \rho v = \rho (\omega \times r) [/tex]

[tex] m = \frac{1}{2} \int r \times \rho (\omega \times r) d\tau [/tex]
using the appropriate product rule

[tex] m = \frac{\rho}{2} \int \left(\omega(r\cdot r) - r(\omega \cdot r)\right) d\tau = \frac{\rho}{2} \int \left(\omega r^2 - r^2\omega\cos\theta)\right) d\tau [/tex]

the second term in the integrand is zero since [tex] \int_{0}^{\pi} \cos\theta\sin\theta d\theta =0 [/tex]

so we hav
[tex] m =\frac{\rho}{2} \int \omega r^2 d\tau = \frac{\rho\omega}{2} \int_{0}^{R} r^4 dr (4\pi) = \frac{4\pi\rho\omega}{2} \frac{R^5}{5} [/tex]
but [tex] \rho = \frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3} [/tex]

so [tex] m = \frac{2\pi\omega R^5}{5} \frac{Q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3} = \frac{3}{10} Q\omega R^2 [/tex]

the answer is supposed to be [tex] \frac{1}{5} Q\omega R^2[/tex]

maybe I am missing some factors??

[tex]\oint d\Omega{\vec r}({\vec r}\cdot\omega)
=4\pi r^2\omega/3.[/tex]

Last edited:
i think there is a mistake in tis integral. but i don't know where. XD
[tex]
m = \frac{\rho}{2} \int \left(\omega(r\cdot r) - r(\omega \cdot r)\right) d\tau = \frac{\rho}{2} \int \left(\omega r^2 - r^2\omega\cos\theta)\right) d\tau
[/tex]

[tex]
m = \frac{\rho}{2} \int \left(\omega(r\cdot r) - r(\omega \cdot r)\right) d\tau = \frac{\rho}{2} \int \left(\omega r^2 - r^2\omega\cos\theta)\right) d\tau [tex]

the correct answer is = 1/3*Q*R^2*w ... please correct your solution as soon as possible .

klp_l123 said:
the correct answer is = 1/3*Q*R^2*w ... please correct your solution as soon as possible .

I disagree. I get [tex]\vec m = \frac 15 Q \omega R^2 \hat k[/tex]. I see the mistake as having been made in the second integration above; it's NOT identically zero. The [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] components are because of the integration in [tex]\phi[/tex], but the [tex]z[/tex] component is nonzero. Don't forget that the first "r" that shows up in the second integration is [tex]\vec r[/tex], NOT [tex]|\vec r|[/tex]. Since we're working in spherical coordinates, this has three components with complicated expressions in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex].

1. What is the definition of magnetic dipole moment?

The magnetic dipole moment of a sphere is a measure of its ability to interact with a magnetic field and is defined as the product of the sphere's magnetic field strength and its volume.

2. How is the magnetic dipole moment of a sphere calculated?

The magnetic dipole moment of a sphere can be calculated by multiplying the area of the sphere's cross-section by the strength of its magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnetic dipole moment of a sphere?

The magnetic dipole moment of a sphere is affected by its size, shape, and the strength of its magnetic field. The orientation of the sphere in the magnetic field also plays a role.

4. How is the magnetic dipole moment of a sphere used in scientific research?

The magnetic dipole moment of a sphere is an important concept in the study of magnetism and is used to understand the behavior of materials in magnetic fields. It is also used in various technologies, such as magnetic resonance imaging.

5. Can the magnetic dipole moment of a sphere be changed?

Yes, the magnetic dipole moment of a sphere can be changed by altering its size, shape, or magnetic field strength. It can also be changed by changing the composition of the material the sphere is made of.