Attraction and Repulsion Forces Between Magnets

In summary, the conversation revolves around how to calculate the attraction and repulsion forces between two magnets. The factors that affect these forces are mentioned, such as the type of magnet and the distance between them. The person asking for help has been unable to find a way to calculate these forces and has reached out for more insight. Superposition has been suggested as a possible starting point, but the person has not been able to find a suitable equation for the force between two magnets at a distance. They have also mentioned trying to contact a company but have not received a response.
eek3386
How do you calculate the attraction and repulsion forces between two magnets? I know it depends on many factors, so for example: two 0.5"x0.5"x0.25" Neodynium magnets with a grade of 42 (Br = 13200 Gauss) that are 0.25" apart from each other (only air is separating them).

Thanks for any help in advance!

edit: **This is not a homework problem. After much research, I have been unable to find a way to calculate the forces between two magnets. It seems a lot of the science behind it is vague as of now. I have found one website that calculates these forces, but they don't list equations that are used. I tried to contact the company, but they haven't responded to me. I was wondering if anyone else had more insight into this.**

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem? If so you need to tell us some of your thoughts before we can help out. If not, perhaps you could repost in the general physics section (since you are free to get answers to hypothetical problems and questions there).

Superposition might be a good start.

It's not a homework problem. I reposted it in the general physics forum with some additional info.

In regards to superposition, I haven't found a good equation for the force from a magnet at a distance. I've found one for the force from a magnet on steel at a distance. However, the magnets I'm trying to use are not composed of steel.

Anyone able to help?

1. What causes attraction and repulsion forces between magnets?

The forces between magnets are caused by the interaction between their magnetic fields. Magnetic fields are created by the movement of electric charges, and the strength and direction of the magnetic field depends on the orientation and strength of these charges.

2. How do opposite poles of magnets attract each other?

Opposite poles of magnets attract each other because their magnetic fields are oriented in opposite directions, leading to a pulling force between the two magnets. This is similar to how positive and negative charges attract each other in electric fields.

3. Why do like poles of magnets repel each other?

Like poles of magnets repel each other because their magnetic fields are oriented in the same direction, creating a force that pushes the two magnets away from each other. This is similar to how two positive or two negative charges repel each other in electric fields.

4. How do the distance and strength of the magnets affect the attraction and repulsion forces?

The strength of the attraction and repulsion forces between magnets depends on the distance between them and the strength of their magnetic fields. The closer the magnets are, the stronger the forces will be. Additionally, stronger magnets with higher magnetic field strengths will also have stronger attraction and repulsion forces.

5. Can attraction and repulsion forces between magnets be explained by other scientific principles?

Yes, the attraction and repulsion forces between magnets can be explained by the principles of electromagnetism. This is because magnets are created by the movement of electric charges, and their interaction is governed by the laws of electromagnetism.