Page Not Found Error on Programming Forum | Physics Forums

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user experiencing an error when trying to post a new thread in the 'Programming' forum. They also encounter the same error when hitting the preview button. Other users suggest checking settings and using different browsers, but the issue persists. The user eventually finds a workaround by posting the code in a separate link. The conversation also briefly mentions another user who may be able to offer assistance.
neutrino
I have been getting the following error after I click the submit button on a new thread. ('Programming' forum)

The page your looking for can't be found.
Please go back to the homepage: https://www.physicsforums.com/
Physics Forums

It also happens when I hit the preview button.

Physics news on Phys.org
neutrino said:
I have been getting the following error after I click the submit button on a new thread. ('Programming' forum)
It also happens when I hit the preview button.

You may have been automatically signed out, and then, when you sign in, the post will be lost.

I experience this a few times, so just before posting anything, save the whole thingy to your Clipboard.

You may also want to check the Remember Me checkbox to solve the problem. You'll never be automatically logged out again. :smile:

----------------------

Btw, I have just tried to preview my post in Programming Forums, and it works fine for me.

Last edited:
VietDao29 said:
You may have been automatically signed out, and then, when you sign in, the post will be lost.

I experience this a few times, so just before posting anything, save the whole thingy to your Clipboard.

You may also want to check the Remember Me checkbox to solve the problem. You'll never be automatically logged out again. :smile:

I was not signed out, and I do have the 'Remember Me' box checked.

Btw, I have just tried to preview my post in Programming Forums, and it works fine for me.

Tried again... no luck. :( I will try from another browser.

I just used Opera(free of cookies, cache, etc.) to post the same thread - I got the same error message.

neutrino said:
I just used Opera(free of cookies, cache, etc.) to post the same thread - I got the same error message.

I'll test it in Opera, have you tried Firefox? Pretty good. :smile: It works fine for me in Firefox.

-----------------

I haven't post any thread, I just tried to preview it, and it seems to display correctly to me. Maybe it's some of your settings that cause the problems. Not very sure. I have Opera Version 9.10

Last edited:
VietDao29 said:
I'll test it in Opera, have you tried Firefox? Pretty good. :smile: It works fine for me in Firefox.

I've been a Firefox user for 2-3 years now. :smile: (from 1.0.4, IIRC)

I haven't post any thread, I just tried to preview it, and it seems to display correctly to me. Maybe it's some of your settings that cause the problems. Not very sure. I have Opera Version 9.10
I use Opera 9.21. I don't think it has anything to do with settings, since I have tried it from two different browsers, one of them with default.

I have been able to post this thread.

Last edited:
I tried posting the same message from the Computers forum - I get Page Not Found. My post has only text and some C++ code enclosed within code tags. :(

Have you tried posting it here, in Forum Feedback & Announcement?

VietDao29 said:
Have you tried posting it here, in Forum Feedback & Announcement?
If temporary spamming is allowed for experimental reasons, then I will do it. :biggrin:

HA...It doesn't work even here. I will post the code somewhere online and paste link to it here. Thanks

I don't what's wrong with that forum! :grumpy: All I want to post is this code - http://pastebin.ca/614255 - and some text.

So here's the gist of what would've been a thread at the programming forum.

The program that I have linked to does not seem to work they way it should. The second for loop works fine (fixed n). But when I use a while or for loop to vary n, I get back the shell prompt. I use the GNU

Since it seems to be the content of your post and not your browser or the forum, have you checked that you're using the code tags correctly? Using square brackets to enclose the tags here, for example? All I can figure is it's something in your code that is being read, perhaps because it's not properly enclosed in the code tags, or something in it prematurely indicates the end of the code tags so the rest of the code is being read.

I don't know anything about programming to help you see if something in what you were trying to post would attempt to redirect a page or something, but maybe someone else could take a gander and see if there's something in it likely to cause that problem. It seems you have found a solution by posting it in a link until the root cause of the problem is found.

neutrino said:
I don't what's wrong with that forum! :grumpy: All I want to post is this code - http://pastebin.ca/614255 - and some text.

So here's the gist of what would've been a thread at the programming forum.

The program that I have linked to does not seem to work they way it should. The second for loop works fine (fixed n). But when I use a while or for loop to vary n, I get back the shell prompt. I use the GNU

Oh, I don't have much experience with programming, though I did study it some times ago, just some VB extremely basic stuff. =.="

Where's dduardo, btw? I haven't seen him round much. He may help.

Moonbear said:
Since it seems to be the content of your post and not your browser or the forum, have you checked that you're using the code tags correctly? Using square brackets to enclose the tags here, for example? All I can figure is it's something in your code that is being read, perhaps because it's not properly enclosed in the code tags, or something in it prematurely indicates the end of the code tags so the rest of the code is being read.
In fact, I removed the code (and tags) and posted the link, instead (with the rest of the normal text), but that did not work, either. But posting the link here was not a problem.

I have posted the same message in another forum(copy+paste from the same text file), which also use the vBulletin forum software.

VietDao29 said:
Where's dduardo, btw? I haven't seen him round much. He may help.

I think he took a break some months ago. I think he is travelling. The code is not complicated, though...very basic stuff. :)

Neutrino, in your code you have to reset "sum" back to 1 with each iteration of the top loop.

Also, can you post at all in the Computer forums? Is it only when using vB tags that it fails?

-Job- said:
Neutrino, in your code you have to reset "sum" back to 1 with each iteration of the top loop.
Silly me. :blushing: Thanks a lot, -Job-. :smile:

1. What does the "Page Not Found" error mean?

The "Page Not Found" error, also known as a 404 error, means that the webpage you are trying to access cannot be found on the server. This could be due to a broken link, a deleted page, or a mistyped URL.

2. How can I fix a "Page Not Found" error on a programming forum?

If you encounter a "Page Not Found" error on a programming forum, there are a few things you can try to fix it. First, make sure you have entered the correct URL. If the URL is correct, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If the error persists, you may need to contact the website administrator for assistance.

3. Why am I getting a "Page Not Found" error when the page was working before?

There are a few reasons why you may be getting a "Page Not Found" error on a previously working page. The page may have been moved or deleted, the server may be experiencing issues, or there could be a problem with your internet connection. It is best to check with the website administrator to determine the cause of the error.

4. Can a "Page Not Found" error be caused by a problem with my computer?

It is possible for a "Page Not Found" error to be caused by a problem with your computer, such as a browser issue or a network connection problem. However, in most cases, the error is due to an issue on the server side, such as a broken link or a deleted page.

5. How can I prevent "Page Not Found" errors on my own website?

To prevent "Page Not Found" errors on your own website, it is important to regularly check for broken links and fix them promptly. You can also set up redirects for deleted pages to redirect users to a relevant page. Additionally, using descriptive and accurate URLs can help prevent mistyped URLs and reduce the chances of a 404 error.