Exploring the Implications of String Theory: Minimum Values and Possibilities

• Thread starter PRodQuanta
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of string theory and its implications, specifically the idea that everything would have a minimum value if everything is made up of strings. The conversation also mentioned the possibility of different types of strings and their effects on the formation of quarks and atoms. The suggestion to read an article by Ed Witten on the subject was also given.
PRodQuanta
Correct me if I am wrong (which I may very well be). I was thinking about string theory, and what it would imply. Now, if everything was made up of strings, then this would imply that there is a minimum value for everything, correct?

I.E.- If the size of a string would represent 1, then there would be no such thing as the number .5. This number would imply something smaller than a string, which (I think) would be impossible.

Like I said, correct me if I am wrong. I am either stating the obvious (where I didn't know it was obvious), or I am WAY off base.

Paden Roder

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I would think youre correct in stating that strings come in one size only and this would make sense as then many strings form to make quarks etc. so I think and i may be wrong that there is one type of string in one size.

There is believed to be different types of strings. For example gravitons which are not connected to our brane or three dimensional universe. Sorry about any wrong spelling. Gravitons are believed to floot into another brane. Connected strings just vibrate at different rates creating differet quarks and inturn different atoms.

See if you can get your hands on an article by Ed Witten entitled "Reflections on the fate of spacetime". He described some of the effects of having a minimum length.

You should be able to get a preprint off the web.

1. What is the purpose of asking some simple questions?

The purpose of asking some simple questions is to gather information or clarify understanding on a particular topic or concept. It can also be used to stimulate critical thinking and promote discussion.

2. How do you determine what constitutes a "simple" question?

A simple question is typically one that can be answered in a straightforward manner and does not require extensive knowledge or research. It should also be clear and concise, with a specific focus.

3. Can simple questions lead to complex discussions?

Yes, simple questions can often lead to complex discussions as they can open up new perspectives and ideas. They can also prompt individuals to think deeper and critically about a topic.

4. Are simple questions only used in the scientific field?

No, simple questions can be used in any field or context. They are a common tool for gathering information and promoting critical thinking in various industries and everyday life.

5. How can simple questions benefit scientific research?

Simple questions can benefit scientific research by helping to identify knowledge gaps, generate new ideas, and facilitate collaboration among researchers. They can also aid in communicating complex concepts in a more understandable way to the general public.