Advanced Lab as a substitute for research?

In summary, an undergraduate physics student is worried about whether or not a good grade in an Advanced Lab class and a recommendation from the instructor will be enough to substitute for lack of research experience. The student is at a first tier research university with a 3.8 GPA in physics and based on SATs and test prep, they expect to do well on their GREs. The student is worried that their inexperience could torpedo the whole deal.
detunedradio
It seems that I've dropped the ball somewhat in preparing myself for a graduate degree in physics. This is my last year as an undergraduate and I have no research experience at all. I wasn't accepted to any of the summer REUs for which I applied (didn't apply to as many programs as I should have, had a weak personal statement).

This semester I'm required to take an Advanced Lab course, which looks to be quite the intense experience. The lab consists of one eight hour session a week, and over the semester we are to carry out three experiments and produce a 10-12 page paper for each in journal style. In addition to this, we have to give a 25 minute oral presentation of one of the experiments. The experiments are assigned, but according to the syllabus we are not given a "cook book" of what to do. The syllabus even goes so far as to call the experience an "internship."

I was originally planning to get myself a laboratory job this semester, but after seeing the Ad Lab syllabus I'm not sure I'll have the time or the energy, keeping in mind that I'm finishing minors in both mathematics and philosophy this semester. Will a good grade in Advanced Lab as well as a solid recommendation from the instructor be enough to substitute for my lack of research experience, or is it imperative that I get into a "real" lab as soon as possible, possibly at the expense of my math minor? I'm at a first tier research university with approximately a 3.8 GPA in physics (3.68 overall), and based on SATs and test prep I expect to do well on my GREs, so the rest of my application should be pretty respectable. I'm just concerned that my inexperience could torpedo the whole deal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Many people get into graduate school without undergrad research experience. If that's the only worry, you're doing pretty well :)

As for an advanced lab course, its not really a substitute for research since you'll be doing experiments that have already been done. However you will learn about the experimental processes of collecting data, interpreting that data, and producing results. Learning how to keep a good detailed lab book will also be beneficial.

Mororvia said:
Many people get into graduate school without undergrad research experience. If that's the only worry, you're doing pretty well :)

As for an advanced lab course, its not really a substitute for research since you'll be doing experiments that have already been done. However you will learn about the experimental processes of collecting data, interpreting that data, and producing results. Learning how to keep a good detailed lab book will also be beneficial.

Absoutely, the process of wotking in a lab under controlled circumstances is crucial to learning correct lab proceedures. The academic comunity needs to emphasize more lab work as a student and less research time to produce better more rounded graduates.

http://www.teachspin.com/signup.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of an advanced lab as a substitute for research?

The purpose of an advanced lab is to provide a hands-on learning experience for students, where they can apply theoretical knowledge gained in the classroom to real-world scenarios. It serves as a substitute for research by allowing students to conduct experiments and gather data in a controlled environment, without the time and resources required for a full research project.

2. How is an advanced lab different from a traditional research project?

An advanced lab is typically shorter in duration and has a more structured design compared to a traditional research project. The goal of an advanced lab is to reinforce concepts and techniques, while a research project aims to contribute new knowledge to a specific field of study.

3. Can an advanced lab still contribute to scientific advancements?

While the primary purpose of an advanced lab is for educational purposes, it can still lead to new discoveries and advancements in science. The data collected from advanced labs can be used in future research projects, and students may even develop new hypotheses to explore.

4. Is it necessary to have an advanced lab as a substitute for research?

Having an advanced lab as a substitute for research is not necessary, but it can provide valuable learning opportunities for students. It allows them to gain practical skills and experience in a shorter amount of time, and can also serve as a stepping stone for those interested in pursuing research in the future.

5. How can an advanced lab benefit students in their future careers?

Participating in advanced labs can help students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and technical skills that are essential in many scientific careers. It also provides hands-on experience with equipment and techniques commonly used in research, making them more prepared for future research projects or lab work in their careers.