Need Advice for Taking Visual Basic Programming as an IT Major?

In summary, the conversation discusses advice for an IT major who will be taking Visual Basic Programming in the fall, as well as other courses in computer repair and networking. The experts suggest that Visual Basic is a simple language for learning programming logic, but not the best for teaching good programming practice. They also mention that computer repair and networking are useful skills and not too difficult to learn. When it comes to database design, the difficulty depends on the size and features of the database and the software being used. In general, the conversation suggests that the courses and programming language may not be too challenging, but it is important to seek help and do extra research.
microwave
I am IT major who is going to take Visual Basic Programming in the fall. Any experts have any advice for me how is the programming I am going to also be taking courses in computer repair and networking. How difficult is database design I am going to be loaded 18 units. So I really need good advice.

Thanks Guys

Technology news on Phys.org
I had to do Visual BASIC in my first year of College. It isn't too bad, very simple actually. It really isn't the best language though [it isn't cross-platform, its slow/buggy] and in general it doesn't teach good programming practice (because it is so interactive). Though, for learning programming logic; it's fine, though you'll see a vast difference in complexity when you move onto other languages like C/C++, JAVA, etc..

Computer repair and networking is really handy to have. And it really isn't _that_ hard. With the web you can find guides and help on troubleshooting problems quite easily.

Database design, again, isn't that hard. Though it does depend on the size of the database you're wanting to design and what all features its going to include. Is it going to be a relational dbase? Does it need to have an interface that will require macros etc? What package are you using? Access, MySQL, Oracle? They're all different, though mostly have good documentation.

Good luck.

It's pretty basic. The commands follow logical normal english order. If you wanted to get ahead you could take a quick look at QBASIC from an online tutorial before you start. It's hte predecessor and uses very similar commands in a DOS interface.

1. What is Visual Basic Programming?

Visual Basic Programming is a high-level programming language that is used to create Windows applications. It is a user-friendly language that is based on the BASIC programming language and is known for its simplicity and ease of use.

2. What are the advantages of using Visual Basic Programming?

Some advantages of using Visual Basic Programming include its simple syntax, easy integration with other Microsoft products, and the ability to quickly build user interfaces. It also has a large community of developers and plenty of online resources for support and learning.

3. Can I create web applications using Visual Basic Programming?

No, Visual Basic Programming is primarily used for creating desktop applications. However, there is a version called Visual Basic .NET that can be used for web development.

4. Is Visual Basic Programming still relevant?

Yes, Visual Basic Programming is still a popular language and is used in many industries. It is often used for creating small to medium-sized applications and is a good choice for beginners to learn programming concepts.

5. Do I need any special software to start programming in Visual Basic?

To start programming in Visual Basic, you will need to download and install the Visual Studio development environment. This includes all the necessary tools and resources to write, debug, and deploy your Visual Basic programs.