Find the dampening variable

• Thread starter miann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, the egg is initially suspended from a spring with a k = 25.0N/m, and a force F = -bv acts against it. After 5.00s, the egg's displacement is x = 0.100m. Because F/v = kg/s, the egg experiences a 1N/s loss in energy when divided by time.
miann

Homework Statement

A egg with a mass 0.0500kg is suspended from a spring with a k = 25.0N/m... initially it starts off with a displacement of x = 0.300m but a force F = -bv acts against the egg and after t= 5.00s the displacement is x = 0.100m

Homework Equations

F = -bv
F = -kx
-kx = ma

w = [tex]\sqrt{}K/m[/tex]

ma = -kx - bv

The Attempt at a Solution

Well our prof didnt show up for class... but the homework is still due and i really have no idea were to start... i have never worked with damping... but i found out that

b = kg/s

Because F/v = kg/s

So if u calculate F at x = 0.300m you get 7.5N and then 2.5N for 0.1m...

thats a difference of 5... and that would be 1N/s loss when divided by time... which would make sense for the overall damping effect... (well I'm guessing... again never learned anything about damping) but if that is right... what 'v' would i use... because it is always changing as the spring looses energy...

So ya, I don't knoe if I'm even going in the right direction... but i am completely stumped on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
miann said:

ma = -kx - bv

This is a differential equation. Treat it as such.

all I can think of is

x(t) = Acos(wt + [tex]\phi[/tex])

v(t) = -wAsin(wt + [tex]\phi[/tex])

a(t) = -w[tex]^{2}[/tex]Acos(wt + [tex]\phi[/tex])

Well... i can set it up as

-kx - b[tex]dx/dt[/tex] = m[tex]d^{2}x/dt^{2}[/tex]

but i can't think of the second equation so i can solve...

sorry i haven't done differential equations for about a year.. and even then they were easy ones... I'm trying to figure it out but i have no idea were to start.

Typically you want guess exponentials. x = Ae^(rt)

Try
http://www.krellinst.org/UCES/archive/modules/diffeq/node4.html

Last edited by a moderator:
kx = -bv

kx - -b[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\int^{0.1}_{0.3}[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{x}[/tex] = -[tex]\int^{t}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{k}{b}[/tex]dt

ln(0.1) - ln(0.3) = [tex]\frac{k}{b}[/tex](5.0s)

1.1 = [tex]\frac{(25.0N/m)}{b}[/tex](5.0s)

b = [tex]\frac{(25.0N/m)(5.0s)}{1.1}[/tex]

b = 113.64 N[tex]\bullet[/tex]s/m

is that right?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding the dampening variable?

Finding the dampening variable allows for the identification and control of factors that may be causing a decrease in a system's effectiveness or efficiency. This can lead to improvements in performance and overall success.

2. How do you determine the dampening variable in a system?

The dampening variable can be determined through a variety of methods, such as analyzing data, conducting experiments, or using mathematical models. It may also require trial and error to pinpoint the specific variable causing the dampening effect.

3. Can the dampening variable change over time?

Yes, the dampening variable can change over time as different factors come into play or as the system itself evolves. It is important to continually monitor and adjust for the dampening variable to maintain optimal performance.

4. Are there different types of dampening variables?

Yes, there are several types of dampening variables, including physical, environmental, psychological, and economic variables. Each type may require a different approach for identification and control.

5. How can finding the dampening variable benefit scientific research?

Identifying and controlling the dampening variable can greatly benefit scientific research by allowing for more accurate and reliable data, improved experiments and studies, and better understanding of complex systems. This can ultimately lead to advancements and breakthroughs in various fields of science.