QG student colloquium in London

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, the Quantum Gravity Colloquium, organized by f-h and reported by Alejandro Satz, featured four talks and lively discussions among PhD students from various places in Europe. Topics included perturbative Regge calculus and LQG, partial observables, and the "problem of time" in QG. The event also highlighted the benefits of a "students only" symposium for open discussions and potential collaborations.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://realityconditions.blogspot.com/2007/09/quantum-gravity-colloquium-talks.html

the colloquium was organized by f-h
and well reported by Alejandro Satz.
there were four talks and a lot of lively discussion

Among the PhD students came from other places in Europe besides the UK
was Eugenio Bianchi (marseille) who gave a talk about *perturbative Regge calculus and LQG*
F-h gave a talk on *partial observables*. I don't think there is any "problem of time" in QG now
because relational observables seems to take care of it. There was discussion of this and related
issues in the open discussion that followed the talks.

It seems like a good idea to have a *students only* symposium because you can say whatever
and ask whatever (not stepping on any senior toes) and you get to interact directly with people
you might collaborate with later. I imagine the general ambiance at Perimeter might have some of that
free-for-all scramble happening on any given day. There seems to be a lot of creativity on the loose
amongst the QG PhD-student crowd. This post at realityconditions blog by Alejandro Satz gives
a glimpse of it---in the Nottingham+London Imperial context.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Quantum Gravity Colloquium. It sounds like it was a very informative and engaging event. I am particularly interested in the talk by Eugenio Bianchi on perturbative Regge calculus and LQG. As someone who is also researching in this area, I would love to hear more about his findings.

I also appreciate your mention of F-h's talk on partial observables and the discussion that followed. It's great to hear that the issue of the "problem of time" in QG may be resolved through the use of relational observables. It's always exciting to see progress being made in this complex and challenging field.

I agree that a "students only" symposium is a valuable opportunity for young researchers to freely express their ideas and collaborate with their peers. It's also encouraging to hear about the creativity and enthusiasm amongst the QG PhD-student community.

Thank you again for sharing your experience at the colloquium. I hope to attend similar events in the future and contribute to the ongoing discussions in quantum gravity research.

I find this report on the QG student colloquium in London to be very interesting and informative. It is great to see young researchers actively involved in discussing and presenting their work in the field of quantum gravity. The fact that students from different parts of Europe were also present at the colloquium shows the growing interest and collaboration in this field.

I am particularly intrigued by the talks on perturbative Regge calculus and partial observables. These are important topics in quantum gravity research and it is exciting to see progress being made in these areas. The discussion on the problem of time and how relational observables can address it is also very thought-provoking. It is encouraging to see that there are potential solutions to this long-standing issue in quantum gravity.

I also appreciate the idea of having a "students only" symposium. This allows for a more open and collaborative environment where students can freely discuss and exchange ideas without any pressure or hesitation. It also provides a platform for potential collaborations and future research opportunities.

Overall, this report gives a glimpse of the dynamic and creative atmosphere in the QG research community. I look forward to seeing more updates and progress in this field.

1. What is the purpose of the QG student colloquium in London?

The QG student colloquium in London is an annual event that brings together students and researchers in the field of quantum gravity to present their research, exchange ideas, and foster collaborations. It provides a platform for young scientists to showcase their work and gain valuable feedback from their peers and senior researchers.

2. Who can attend the QG student colloquium in London?

The QG student colloquium in London is primarily targeted towards students and early-career researchers in the field of quantum gravity. However, anyone with an interest in the subject is welcome to attend and participate in the discussions.

3. When and where does the QG student colloquium in London take place?

The QG student colloquium in London is usually held in the summer months, with the exact dates varying from year to year. The location also changes each year, but it is always held in London, UK.

4. How can I submit an abstract to present at the QG student colloquium in London?

The call for abstracts is typically announced a few months before the event. Interested participants can submit their abstracts through the official website or by email. The abstracts are then reviewed by the organizing committee, and selected presenters will be notified.

5. What are the benefits of attending the QG student colloquium in London?

Attending the QG student colloquium in London provides numerous benefits, such as networking opportunities with fellow researchers, receiving valuable feedback on your research, and staying updated on the latest developments in the field. It also allows for potential collaborations and can enhance your knowledge and understanding of quantum gravity.