Decay of Alpha Particle Through Quantum Tunneling

In summary, the graph attached shows the relationship between the transmission coefficient and the distance from the nucleus for alpha-emitters. The peak in the graph indicates that the energy of the nucleons is most stable within a certain radius due to the conditions set by the strong nuclear force. This peak decreases with increasing distance due to the influence of the Coulomb force. The reason for this shape of the graph is still unclear.
OhMyGod

Homework Statement

By using the graph attached,
Why high energy alpha particles are emitted by alpha-emitters of short wavelength?

Homework Equations

Transmission Coefficient Equation : T=exp(-2kd)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ain't really sure. Can't really figure out why is the graph shaped like that in the first place.
Anyone wants to give it a shot into explaining what accounts for this the shape of the graph first?

Many thanks in advance :D

Attachments

• phyquest.GIF
    phyquest.GIF
    2.5 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
i reckon the energy of the nucleons is very low in the well, ie the nucleons are most stable there (due to conditions given by strong nuclear force), the rapid peak indicates that outside this radius, the energetic stability is very low, hence peak energy value, this subsides with increasing distance inversely with distance - arising due to coulomb force.

so am i within the 10^-15m or have i missed the point, i am humble i can handle it.

1. What is quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle is able to pass through a barrier that would be impossible to cross according to classical physics. This occurs due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

2. How does alpha decay occur through quantum tunneling?

In alpha decay, an unstable atomic nucleus emits an alpha particle (consisting of two protons and two neutrons) in order to achieve a more stable configuration. This emission is made possible through quantum tunneling, as the alpha particle is able to pass through the potential energy barrier of the nucleus.

3. What factors affect the probability of alpha decay through quantum tunneling?

The probability of alpha decay through quantum tunneling depends on the size of the potential energy barrier, the mass and energy of the alpha particle, and the nuclear properties of the unstable nucleus (such as its shape and composition).

4. Can quantum tunneling be observed in other processes besides alpha decay?

Yes, quantum tunneling is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and can be observed in a variety of phenomena, such as radioactive decay, electron tunneling in transistors, and nuclear fusion reactions in stars.

5. What are the practical applications of studying alpha decay through quantum tunneling?

Studying alpha decay and quantum tunneling can provide insights into the behavior of subatomic particles and can be used in areas such as nuclear physics, materials science, and even medicine (e.g. in the development of radiation therapy for cancer treatment).