Symmetries of Silicon: M3M Point Group

In summary, according to the author, the symmetries of silicon can be found by using the {110} normals as coordinates. However, he has not been able to locate these symmetries using the standard cubic crystal axes. He hypothesizes that the {100} family of planes may be necessary for the symmetry.
Kreck
As I'm interested in the simplifications of property tensors due to crystal symmetry, I have been trying to find the symmetries of silicon (i.e. the diamond structure). As silicon belongs to the m3m point group I would e.g. expect to find a mirror plane perpendicular to the [100], [010] and [001] directions. I have, however, not been able to locate the coordinate system in which these (and all the other m3m symmetries) exists. The standard cubic crystal axes do as far as I can see not include these symmetries. Do anybody know which coordinate system one should use in order to obtain all symmetries of the m3m point group?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can see, the principal axes are normals to the {110} family of planes (i.e., lines joining edge-center and opposite edge-center) as they have a 4-fold rotation symmetry. That automatically makes the 3 planes in the {110} family the [itex]\sigma _h[/itex] planes. I don't see any reason that the {100} family needs to make up the [itex]\sigma _h[/itex] planes.

The point group is defined by the symmetry elements, which are independent of the co-ordinate system.

Last edited:
Thanks. The {110} normals work out fine, my only problem with these vectors is that they are not orthogonal. I'm not sure whether that is in fact a requirement for the coordinate system in this case, but I would have expected them to be orthogonal as we are considering a cubic crystal.

Its not...the vectors will not be orthogonal in the {110} set of planes. Remember that silicon [itex] \Gamma [/itex] -point is 48 fold symmetric.

Okay, so I will use the {110} planes. Now I just have to locate the m3m symmetries, ie. two mirror planes and a threefold rotation around [111]. The rotation is easy and [111] is the same direction both in the crystal and the {110} coordinate system, but the two mirror planes either seem to be equivalent, i.e. I'm not getting any information from the second one, or non-existent. Some books list the two mirror planes as perpendicular to one of the axis and to [110], respectively. In the {110} coordinate system the one perpendicular to the axis is simply the [110] in the crystal coordinate system, and the one perpendicular to the [110] direction in the {110} coordinate system, which is equivalent to [112] in the crystal coordinate system, does not exist (as far as I can see). I have been wondering if you simply neglect depth information when looking at point groups. I mean, the stereograms are all 2D. If so, why?

1. What is the M3M point group in the context of silicon symmetries?

The M3M point group is a type of symmetry group that describes the symmetry properties of a crystal structure. In the case of silicon, it refers to the symmetries that arise from the arrangement of its atoms in a cubic lattice.

2. How many symmetry elements does the M3M point group have?

The M3M point group has a total of 24 symmetry elements, including rotations, reflections, and inversion operations. These symmetry elements can be used to describe the orientation and arrangement of atoms within the crystal lattice.

3. What is the significance of the M3M point group in the study of silicon?

The M3M point group is important in the study of silicon because it helps us understand the physical and chemical properties of this element. The symmetries present in the crystal structure can affect its electronic, mechanical, and thermal properties, making it a crucial factor in the design and development of silicon-based technologies.

4. How does the M3M point group affect the band structure of silicon?

The M3M point group has a direct influence on the band structure of silicon. The symmetries present in the crystal lattice determine the allowed energy levels for electrons, which in turn affects the electrical conductivity and optical properties of the material. Understanding the M3M point group is therefore essential in predicting and manipulating the behavior of silicon in electronic devices.

5. Can the M3M point group be applied to other materials besides silicon?

Yes, the M3M point group can be applied to other materials besides silicon. In fact, it is a commonly used symmetry group in the study of crystals and other solid-state materials. However, the specific symmetries and properties may differ depending on the atomic arrangement and chemical composition of the material.